Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Psalm 139:8

 Psalm 139:8

If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.


a. ASV: If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, thou art there.  [Thomas Nelson & Sons first published the American Standard Version in 1901. This translation of the Bible is in the public domain.]


b. YLT:  If I ascend the heavens -- there Thou art, And spread out a couch in Sheol, lo, Thee! [The Young's Literal Translation was translated by Robert Young, who believed in a strictly literal translation of God's word. This version of the Bible is in the public domain.]


c. Classic Amplified: If I ascend up into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol (the place of the dead), behold, You are there.  [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]


d. NLT: If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there.  [Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.]


e. Tehillim/Psalms: If i ascend to heaven, You are there, If I make my bed in the Lower World, behold! It is You.  [THE ARTSCROLL TANACH SERIES TEHILLIM / PSALMS PERSONAL SIZE EDITION VOL.1 Ⓒ Copyright 1977, 1985, 1996 by MESORAH PUBLICATIONS, Ltd.]


f. The Israel Bible:  If I ascend to heaven, You are there; if I descend to Sheol, You are there too. [The English Translation was adapted by Israel 365 from the JPS Tanakh. Copyright Ⓒ 1985 by the Jewish Publication Society. All rights reserved.]


1. “If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there…”


a. If [Strong: 518 'im eem a primitive particle; used very widely as demonstrative, lo!; interrog., whether?; or conditional, if, although; also Oh that!, when; hence, as a negative, not:--(and, can-, doubtless, if, that) (not), + but, either, + except, + more(-over if, than), neither, nevertheless, nor, oh that, or, + save (only, -ing), seeing, since, sith, + surely (no more, none, not), though, + of a truth, + unless, + verily, when, whereas, whether, while, + yet.]


b. [I] ascend [Strong: 5266 nacaq naw-sak' a primitive root; to go up:--ascend.]


c. [into] heaven [Strong: 8064 shamayim shaw-mah'-yim dual of an unused singular shameh {shaw-meh'}; from an unused root meaning to be lofty; the sky (as aloft; the dual perhaps alluding to the visible arch in which the clouds move, as well as to the higher ether where the celestial bodies revolve):--air, X astrologer, heaven(-s).]


d. thou [Strong: 859 'attah at-taw' or (shortened); aatta {at-taw'}; or wath {ath}; feminine (irregular) sometimes nattiy {at-tee'}; plural masculine attem {at- tem'}; feminine atten {at-ten'}; or oattenah {at-tay'naw}; or fattennah {at-tane'-naw}; a primitive pronoun of the second person; thou and thee, or (plural) ye and you:--thee, thou, ye, you.]


e. [art] there [Strong: 8033 sham shawm a primitive particle (rather from the relative pronoun, 834); there (transferring to time) then; often thither, or thence:--in it, + thence, there (-in, + of, + out), + thither, + whither.]


2. “...if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.”


a. [if I] make my bed [Strong: 3331 yatsa` yaw-tsah' a primitive root; to strew as a surface:--make (one's) bed, X lie, spread.]


b. [in] hell [Strong: 7585 sh'owl sheh-ole' or shol {sheh-ole'}; from 7592; Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:--grave, hell, pit.]


c. behold [thou art there] [Strong: 2005 hen hane a primitive particle; lo!; also (as expressing surprise) if:--behold, if, lo, though.]


No comments: