Monday, November 29, 2021

Habakkuk 3:19

 Habakkuk 3:19

The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.


a. NLT: The Sovereign LORD is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights. (For the choir director: This prayer is to be accompanied by stringed instruments.)  [Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.]


b. ASV: Jehovah, the Lord, is my strength; And he maketh my feet like hinds’ feet, And will make me to walk upon my high places. [Thomas Nelson & Sons first published the American Standard Version in 1901. This translation of the Bible is in the public domain.]


c. YLT: Jehovah the Lord is my strength, And He doth make my feet like hinds, And on my high-places causeth me to tread. To the overseer with my stringed instruments!  [The Young's Literal Translation was translated by Robert Young, who believed in a strictly literal translation of God's word. This version of the Bible is in the public domain.]


d. Classic Amplified: The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds’ feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]! [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]


e. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/ Writings: HASHEM/ELOHIM, the Lord, is my strength. He makes my legs [as swift] as harts; and He leads me upon my high places. To the conductor, [for accompaniment] with my songs.   [The Artscroll Series/Stone Edition, THE TANACH--STUDENT SIZE EDITION Copyright 1996, 1998 by Mesorah Publications, Ldt.]


f. The Israel Bible: My Hashem is my strength: he makes my feet like the deer’s And lets me stride upon the heights. For the leader; with instrumental music.  [The English Translation was adapted by Israel 365 from the JPS Tanakh. Copyright Ⓒ 1985 by the Jewish Publication Society. All rights reserved.]


g. NIV: The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights. For the director of music. On my stringed instruments.

  [THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by Permission of Biblica, Inc.® All rights reserved worldwide.]


1. “The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.”


a. [The] LORD [Strong: 3069 Yhovih yeh-ho-vee' a variation of 3068 (used after 136, and pronounced by Jews as 430, in order to prevent the repetition of the same sound, since they elsewhere pronounce 3068 as 136):--God.]


b. God [Strong: 136 'Adonay ad-o-noy' am emphatic form of 113; the Lord (used as a proper name of God only):--(my) Lord.]


c. [is my] strength [Strong: 2428 chayil khah'-yil from 2342; probably a force, whether of men, means or other resources; an army, wealth, virtue, valor, strength:--able, activity, (+) army, band of men (soldiers), company, (great) forces, goods, host, might, power, riches, strength, strong, substance, train, (+)valiant(-ly), valour, virtuous(-ly), war, worthy(-ily).]


d. [and he will] make [Strong: 7760 suwm soom or siym {seem}; a primitive root; to put (used in a great variety of applications, literal, figurative, inferentially, and elliptically):--X any wise, appoint, bring, call (a name), care, cast in, change, charge, commit, consider, convey, determine, + disguise, dispose, do, get, give, heap up, hold, impute, lay (down, up), leave, look, make (out), mark, + name, X on, ordain, order, + paint, place, preserve, purpose, put (on), + regard, rehearse, reward, (cause to) set (on, up), shew, + stedfastly, take, X tell, + tread down, ((over-))turn, X wholly, work.]


e. [my] feet [Strong: 7272 regel reh'-gel from 7270; a foot (as used in walking); by implication, a step; by euphem. the pudenda:--X be able to endure, X according as, X after, X coming, X follow, ((broken-))foot((-ed, -stool)), X great toe, X haunt, X journey, leg, + piss, + possession, time.]


f. [like] hinds [feet] [Strong: 355 'ayalah ah-yaw-law' feminine of 354; a doe or female deer:--hind.]


g. [and he will make me] to walk [Strong: 1869 darak daw-rak' a primitive root; to tread; by implication, to walk; also to string a bow (by treading on it in bending):--archer, bend, come, draw, go (over), guide, lead (forth), thresh, tread (down), walk.]


h. [Strong: 5921 `al al properly, the same as 5920 used as a preposition (in the singular or plural often with prefix, or as conjunction with a particle following); above, over, upon, or against (yet always in this last relation with a downward aspect) in a great variety of applications (as follow):--above, according to(-ly), after, (as) against, among, and, X as, at, because of, beside (the rest of), between, beyond the time, X both and, by (reason of), X had the charge of, concerning for, in (that), (forth, out) of, (from) (off), (up-)on, over, than, through(-out), to, touching, X with.]

i. [mine] high places [Strong: 1116 bamah bam-maw' from an unused root (meaning to be high); an elevation:--height, high place, wave.]


2. “...To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.”


a. [To the] chief singer [Strong: 5329 natsach naw-tsakh' a primitive root; properly, to glitter from afar, i.e. to be eminent (as a superintendent, especially of the Temple services and its music); also (as denominative from 5331), to be permanent:--excel, chief musician (singer), oversee(-r), set forward.]


b. [on my] stringed instruments [Strong: 5058 ngiynah neg-ee-naw' or ngiynath (Psa. 61:title) {neg-ee-nath'}; from 5059; properly, instrumental music; by implication, a stringed instrument; by extension, a poem set to music; specifically, an epigram:--stringed instrument, musick, Neginoth (plural), song.]


1). David Levy: The prophet’s faith reached its peak with the expression, “The LORD God is my strength (v. 19). The strength Habakkuk felt from the LORD is illustrated by the hind. The deer is weak to protect itself from predators, but when it sniffs danger, its strong lind legs spring into action and carry it swiftly to the mountain summit, where safety awaits...When David was delivered from the hands of Saul, he expressed his gratitude to the Lord with the same words: “He maketh my feet like hinds’ feet, and setteth me upon my high places. (2 Samuel 22:34; Psalm 18:33).


No comments: