Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Job 19:26

Job 19:26

And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

a. NLT: And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God!

b. NIV: And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God;

c. Amplified Bible: And after my skin, even this body, has been destroyed, then from my flesh or without it I shall see God,

d. Septuagint: and to raise up upon the earth my skin that endures these sufferings: for these things have been accomplished to me of the Lord;

e. Stone Edition Torah/Prohets/Writings: After my skin [was stricken] they pierced me with this [bombast], and I see [the judgment of] God from my flesh.

1. “And though after my skin worms destroy this body…”

a.  though after [310 * ‘achar][Strong: properly, the hind part; generally used as an adverb or conjunction, after (in various senses):--after (that, -ward), again, at, away from, back (from, -side), behind, beside, by, follow (after, -ing), forasmuch, from, hereafter, hinder end, + out (over) live, + persecute, posterity, pursuing, remnant, seeing, since, thence(-forth), when, with.][AMG Complete Old Testament Word Study Dictionary: A preposition meaning behind, after, afterwards.]

b. my skin [5785 * ‘owr][Strong: from 5783; skin (as naked); by implication, hide, leather:--hide, leather, skin.][AMG Complete Old Testament Word Study Dictionary: a masculine singular noun meaning skin. It is used literally of human skin, such as Moses shining face, or in connection with regulations regarding leprosy or skin diseases.]

c. destroy [5362 * naqaph][Strong: a primitive root; to strike with more or less violence (beat, fell, corrode); by implication (of attack) to knock together, i.e. surround or circulate:--compass (about, -ing), cut down, destroy, go round (about), inclose, round.]

d. body [1320 * basar][Strong: from 1320; flesh (from its freshness); by extension, body, person; also (by euphem.) the pudenda of a man:--body, (fat, lean) flesh(-ed), kin, (man-)kind, + nakedness, self, skin.]

2. “…yet in my flesh shall I see God:”

a. see [2372 * chazah][Strong:  a primitive root; to gaze at; mentally, to perceive, contemplate (with pleasure); specifically, to have a vision of:--behold, look, prophesy, provide, see.]

b. God [433 * ‘elowahh][Strong: a deity or the Deity:--God, god.]

c. In this whole passage there is much argument on both sides if this passage is referring to the resurrection or not. Much of the argument against the resurrection contends that no where else does Job mention it and also that the Scriptural pattern for any doctrine in that it is revealed slowly and gradually over much time. That is definitely true but I believe that a revelation of an afterlife was known to even pre-flood Patriarchs. My belief in this is I believe shown in Hebrews. The individuals previously named in the passage are Abel, Enoch, Noah, and Abraham and Sarah and then the passage says some powerful things about what they believed.

1). Hebrews 11:13-16  These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.
15And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

2). The passage clearly says that the five individuals previously named, Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham and Sara embraced promises that were afar off, and desired a heavenly country. Though the doctrine of the resurrection of the dead was not as broadened as it is for us in this Covenant, it was clearly known at least in seed form to the early Patriarchs.

No comments: