Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Psalm 71:6

Psalm 71:6

 By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee.

a. NLT: Yes, you have been with me from birth; from my mother’s womb you have cared for me. No wonder I am always praising you!

b. NIV: From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. I will ever praise you.

c. Young’s Literal Translation: By Thee I have been supported from the womb, From my mother's bowels Thou dost cut me out, In Thee is my praise continually.

d. Amplified Bible: Upon You have I leaned and relied from birth; You are He Who took me from my mother’s womb and You have been my benefactor from that day. My praise is continually of You.

e. Septuagint: On thee have I been stayed from the womb: from the belly of my mother thou art my protector: of thee is my praise continually.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: I relied on you from my birth, You withdrew me from the innards of my mother; of You is my praise always.

1. “By thee have I been holden up from the womb…”

a. holden [5564 * camak][Strong: a primitive root; to prop (literally or figuratively); reflexively, to lean upon or take hold of (in a favorable or unfavorable sense):--bear up, establish, (up-)hold, lay, lean, lie hard, put, rest self, set self, stand fast, stay (self), sustain.]

1). Rabbanic Commentary, Tehillim, p.880: From the moment of birth, You watched over me and provided me with ample sustenance. Even before I emerged from the belly, You prepared food for me from the innards of my mother [this refers to the milk produced within her breasts] (Radak).

b. womb [990 * beten][Strong: from an unused root probably meaning to be hollow; the belly, especially the womb; also the bosom or body of anything:-- belly, body, + as they be born, + within, womb.]

1). David wrote beautifully of the forming of the infant within the mother’s womb. Words directly from the throne of God describing the wisdom of God in creating a human body.

a). Psalm 139:13-18  For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
139:15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
139:16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
139:17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
139:18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

2). Jeremiah writes that it is God that forms the infant within the womb, meaning that the process is the wisdom and creation of God.

a). Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

c. In spite of most of the translations, it is clear from the Hebrew the correct reading is that the Psalmist has been dependent and sustained by God from “the womb” not as most read from “birth”. The Septuagint, Young’s Literal Translation and the King James Version are best here.

2. “…thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels…”

a. took [1491 * gazah][Strong: a primitive root (akin to 1468); to cut off, i.e. portion out:--take.]

1). The Stone Edition has, “You withdrew me from the innards of my mother”.

b. mothers [517 * em][Strong: primitive word; a mother (as the bond of the family); in a wide sense (both literally and figuratively (like 1):--dam, mother, X parting.]

c. womb [4578 * me’ah][Strong: from an unused root probably meaning to be soft; used only in plural the intestines, or (collectively) the abdomen, figuratively, sympathy; by implication, a vest; by extens. the stomach, the uterus (or of men, the seat of generation), the heart (figuratively):--belly, bowels, X heart, womb.]

d. Centuries later the Apostle Paul writing under the same inspiration of God as David did, wrote that God separated him from his mother’s womb.

1). Galatians 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,

2). The whole process of the beginning of life, from conception to birth is designed and a creation of the wisdom of God.

3. “…my praise shall be continually of thee.”

a. praise [8416 * tehillah][Strong: from 1984; laudation; specifically (concretely) a hymn:--praise.]

b. continually [8548 * tamyid][Strong: from an unused root meaning to stretch; properly, continuance (as indefinite extension); but used only (attributively as adjective) constant (or adverbially, constantly); ellipt. the regular (daily) sacrifice:--alway(-s), continual (employment, -ly), daily, ((n-))ever(-more), perpetual.]

1). Because of those facts alone we should continually praise our God.

No comments: