Sunday, June 08, 2014

Psalm 17:4

Psalm 17:4


Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer.


a. NLT: I have followed your commands, which keep me from following cruel and evil people. [Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.]


b. NIV: Though people tried to bribe me, I have kept myself from the ways of the violent through what your lips have commanded. [THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by Permission of Biblica, Inc.® All rights reserved worldwide.]


c. Amplified Bible: Concerning the works of men, by the word of Your lips I have avoided the ways of the violent (the paths of the destroyer). [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]


d. Septuagint: As for the works of men, by the words of thy lips I have guarded myself from hard ways.


e. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: So that my human deeds would accord with the word of Your lips, I guarded myself from the paths of the lawless; [The Artscroll Series/Stone Edition, THE TANACH--STUDENT SIZE EDITION Copyright 1996, 1998 by Mesorah Publications, Ldt.]


1. “Concerning the works of men…”


a. [Concerning the] works Strong: 6468 p`ullah peh-ool-law' feminine passive participle of 6466; (abstractly) work:--labour, reward, wages, work.]


b. [of] men [Strong: 120 'adam aw-dawm' from 119; ruddy i.e. a human being (an individual or the species, mankind, etc.):--X another, + hypocrite, + common sort, X low, man (mean, of low degree), person.]


2. “…by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer.”


a. [by the] word [Strong: 1697 dabar daw-baw' from 1696; a word; by implication, a matter (as spoken of) or thing; adverbially, a cause:--act, advice, affair, answer, X any such (thing), because of, book, business, care, case, cause, certain rate, + chronicles, commandment, X commune(-ication), + concern(-ing), + confer, counsel, + dearth, decree, deed, X disease, due, duty, effect, + eloquent, errand, (evil favoured-)ness, + glory, + harm, hurt, + iniquity, + judgment, language, + lying, manner, matter, message, (no) thing, oracle, X ought, X parts, + pertaining, + please, portion, + power, promise, provision, purpose, question, rate, reason, report, request, X (as hast) said, sake, saying, sentence, + sign, + so, some (uncleanness), somewhat to say, + song, speech, X spoken, talk, task, + that, X there done, thing (concerning), thought, + thus, tidings, what(-soever), + wherewith, which, word, work.]


b. [of thy] lips [Strong: 8193 saphah saw-faw' or (in dual and plural) sepheth {sef-eth'}; probably from 5595 or 8192 through the idea of termination (Compare 5490); the lip (as a natural boundary); by implication, language; by analogy, a margin (of a vessel, water, cloth, etc.):--band, bank, binding, border, brim, brink, edge, language, lip, prating, ((sea-))shore, side, speech, talk, (vain) words.]


c. I [Strong: 589 'aniy an-ee' contracted from 595; I:--I, (as for) me, mine, myself, we, X which, X who.]


d. [have] kept [me] from [8104 * shamar][Strong: a primitive root; properly, to hedge about (as with thorns), i.e. guard; generally, to protect, attend to, etc.:--beward, be circumspect, take heed (to self), keep(-er, self), mark, look narrowly, observe, preserve, regard, reserve, save (self), sure, (that lay) wait (for), watch(-man).]


1). How did the words of God’s lip keep David? By meditating and confessing the word of course, for the same Hebrew word translated “kept” in Psalms 17:4 is translated “observe” in one of my favorite passages in Joshua.


a). Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.


2). God’s word produces and accomplishes what He sends it to do. God’s word concerning encouragement produces encouragement, God’s word concerning victory produces victory, God’s word concerning not falling in temptation will keep you from the paths of the destroyer.


a). Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.


d. [the] paths [Strong: 734 'orach o'-rakh from 732; a well-trodden road (literally or figuratively); also a caravan:--manner, path, race, rank, traveller, troop, (by-, high-)way.]


e. [of the] destroyer [Strong: 6530 priyts per-eets' from 6555; violent, i.e. a tyrant:--destroyer, ravenous, robber.]


1). The paths of the destroyer and the same as the paths of destruction that Jesus warned us of.


a). Matthew 7:13, 14  Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.


2). Hiding the word of God in our heart by meditation will strengthen us against sin. 


a). Psalm 119:11  Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.


3). These paths to destruction are marked by a rejection of God of desiring Him to depart from them.


a). Job 22:15-17  Hast thou marked the old way which wicked men have trodden?

16 Which were cut down out of time, whose foundation was overflown with a flood:

17 Which said unto God, Depart from us: and what can the Almighty do for them?


f. As David writes to us by the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, we can keep ourselves from the destructive paths, “by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer.” In the next verse we get more revelation concerning the keeping of steps.


No comments: