Monday, June 09, 2014

Psalm 18:5

Psalm 18:5

The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.

a. NLT: The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death laid a trap in my path.

b. NIV: The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me.

c. Amplified Bible: The cords of Sheol (the place of the dead) surrounded me; the snares of death confronted and came upon me.

d. Septuagint: The pangs of hell came round about me: the snares of death prevented me.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: [In the Jewish translation Psalm 18:5 in our Bibles is Psalm 18:6 in the Jewish]The pains of the grave surrounded me, the snares of death confronted me.

f. Young’s Literal Translation: Cords of Sheol have surrounded me, Before me have been snares of death.

1. “The sorrows of hell compassed me about…”

a. sorrows [2256 * chebel][Strong: a rope (as twisted), especially a measuring line; by implication, a district or inheritance (as measured); or a noose (as of cords); figuratively, a company (as if tied together); also a throe (especially of parturition); also ruin:--band, coast, company, cord, country, destruction, line, lot, pain, pang, portion, region, rope, snare, sorrow, tackling.]

b. hell [7585 * she’owl][Strong: Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:--grave, hell, pit.

c. compassed [5437 * cabab][Strong: a primitive root; to revolve, surround, or border; used in various applications, literally and figuratively (as follows):--bring, cast, fetch, lead, make, walk, X whirl, X round about, be about on every side, apply, avoid, beset (about), besiege, bring again, carry (about), change, cause to come about, X circuit, (fetch a) compass (about, round), drive, environ, X on every side, beset (close, come, compass, go, stand) round about, inclose, remove, return, set, sit down, turn (self) (about, aside, away, back).]

2. “…the snares of death prevented me.”

a. snares [4170 * mowqesh][Strong: a noose (for catching animals) (literally or figuratively): by implication, a hook (for the nose):--be ensnared, gin, (is) snare(-d), trap.]

b. death [4194 * maveth][Strong: from 4191; death (natural or violent); concretely, the dead, their place or state (hades); figuratively, pestilence, ruin:--(be) dead((-ly)), death, die(-d).

c. prevented [6923 * qadam][Strong:  a primitive root; to project (one self), i.e. precede; hence, to anticipate, hasten, meet (usually for help):--come (go, (flee)) before, + disappoint, meet, prevent.]

d. I believe this passage, Psalm 18:4-6 is a prophetic picture of Jesus in hell before his resurrection. I believe Jesus died spiritually.

No comments: