Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Job 19:27

Job 19:27

Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

a. NLT: I will see him for myself. Yes, I will see him with my own eyes. I am overwhelmed at the thought!

b. NIV: I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!

c. Amplified Bible: Whom I, even I, shall see for myself and on my side! And my eyes shall behold Him, and not as a stranger! My heart pines away and is consumed within me.

d. Septuagint: which I am conscious of in myself, which mine eye has seen, and not another, but all have been fulfilled to me in my bosom.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: I see it for myself; my eyes have seen it, and not a stranger’s. My kidneys have been destroyed within me

1. “Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold…”

a. see [2372 * chazah][Strong: a primitive root; to gaze at; mentally, to perceive, contemplate (with pleasure); specifically, to have a vision of:--behold, look, prophesy, provide, see.]

b. eye [5869 * ‘ayin][Strong: a primitive word; an eye (literally or figuratively); by analogy, a fountain (as the eye of the landscape):--affliction, outward appearance, + before, + think best, colour, conceit, + be content, countenance, + displease, eye((-brow), (-d), -sight), face, + favour, fountain, furrow (from the margin), X him, + humble, knowledge, look, (+ well), X me, open(-ly), + (not) please, presence, + regard, resemblance, sight, X thee, X them, + think, X us, well, X you(-rselves).]

c. behold [7200 * ra’ah][Strong: a primitive root; to see, literally or figuratively (in numerous applications, direct and implied, transitive, intransitive and causative):--advise self, appear, approve, behold, X certainly, consider, discern, (make to) enjoy, have experience, gaze, take heed, X indeed, X joyfully, lo, look (on, one another, one on another, one upon another, out, up, upon), mark, meet, X be near, perceive, present, provide, regard, (have) respect, (fore-, cause to, let) see(-r, -m, one another), shew (self), X sight of others, (e-)spy, stare, X surely, X think, view, visions.]

2. “…and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.”

a. not another [2114 * zuwr][Strong: primitive root; to turn aside (especially for lodging); hence to be a foreigner, strange, profane; specifically (active participle) to commit adultery:--(come from) another (man, place), fanner, go away, (e-)strange(-r, thing, woman).]

b. my reins [3629 * kilyah][Strong: feminine of 3627 (only in the plural); a kidney (as an essential organ); figuratively, the mind (as the interior self):--kidneys, reins.]

c. consumed [3615 * kalah][Strong: a primitive root; to end, whether intransitive (to cease, be finished, perish) or transitived (to complete, prepare, consume):--accomplish, cease, consume (away), determine, destroy (utterly), be (when ... were) done, (be an) end (of), expire, (cause to) fail, faint, finish, fulfil, X fully, X have, leave (off), long, bring to pass, wholly reap, make clean riddance, spend, quite take away, waste.]

d. within me [2436 * cheyq][Strong: from an unused root, apparently meaning to inclose; the bosom (literally or figuratively):--bosom, bottom, lap, midst, within.]

e. Commentary

1). In this whole passage there is much argument on both sides if this passage is referring to the resurrection or not. Much of the argument against the resurrection contends that no where else does Job mention it and also that the Scriptural pattern for any doctrine in that it is revealed slowly and gradually over much time. That is definitely true but I believe that a revelation of an afterlife was known to even pre-flood Patriarchs. My belief in this is I believe shown in Hebrews. The individuals previously named in the passage are Abel, Enoch, Noah, and Abraham and Sarah and then the passage says some powerful things about what they believed.

a). Hebrews 11:13-16  These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.
15And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

b). The passage clearly says that the five individuals previously named, Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham and Sara embraced promises that were afar off, and desired a heavenly country. Though the doctrine of the resurrection of the dead was not as broadened as it is for us in this Covenant, it was clearly known at least in seed form to the early Patriarchs. 

No comments: