Monday, November 03, 2014

Isaiah 55:8

Isaiah 55:8

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

a. NLT: “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD. And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.

b. NIV: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the LORD.

c. Amplified Bible: For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord.

d. Septuagint: For my counsels are not as your counsels, nor are my ways as your ways, saith the Lord.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: For my thoughts are not your thoughts and your ways are not my ways—the word of HASHEM.

1. “For my thoughts are not your thoughts…”

a. thoughts [4284 * machashabah] [Strong: from 2803; a contrivance, i.e. (concretely) a texture, machine, or (abstractly) intention, plan (whether bad, a plot; or good, advice):--cunning (work), curious work, device(-sed), imagination, invented, means, purpose, thought.]

b. thoughts [4284 * machashabah]

c. The possessive pronouns “my” and “your” were added perhaps by Moses or the earliest scribes to distinguish between God’s thoughts and our thoughts. Regardless, they have been in the Hebrew text for thousands of years. The pattern is repeated in the next section of the verse. This verse reflects back to the preceding verses of seeking God, by the wicked man forsaking his wicked “way” and the unrighteous man forsaking his “thoughts”.

2. “…neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.”

a. ways [1870 * derek] [Strong: [1870 * derek] [Strong: from 1869; a road (as trodden); figuratively, a course of life or mode of action, often adverb:--along, away, because of, + by, conversation, custom, (east-)ward, journey, manner, passenger, through, toward, (high-) (path-)way(-side), whither(-soever).]

b. ways [1870 * derek] See above.

c. The possessive pronouns “your” and “my” were added perhaps by Moses or the earliest scribes to distinguish between your/our ways and God’s ways. Regardless, they have been in the Hebrew text for thousands of years. This verse reflects back to the preceding verses of seeking God, by the wicked man forsaking his wicked “way” and the unrighteous man forsaking his “thoughts”.

No comments: