Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Mark 1:2

 Mark 1:2

As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

a. NLT: just as the prophet Isaiah had written: “Look, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, and he will prepare your way.

b. NIV: as it is written in Isaiah the prophet: “I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way

c. YLT: As it hath been written in the prophets, 'Lo, I send My messenger before thy face, who shall prepare thy way before thee,'

d. Amplified Bible: Just as it is written in the prophet Isaiah: Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, who will make ready Your way

e. Worrell Translation: As it has been written in Isaiah the prophet, “Behold, I send My messenger before Thy face, who shall prepare Thy way;

1. “As it is written in the prophets…”

a. as [5613 * hos] [Strong: probably adverb of comparative from 3739; which how, i.e. in that manner (very variously used, as follows):--about, after (that), (according) as (it had been, it were), as soon (as), even as (like), for, how (greatly), like (as, unto), since, so (that), that, to wit, unto, when(-soever), while, X with all speed.]

b. it is written [1125 * grapho] [Strong: a primary verb; to "grave", especially to write; figuratively, to describe:--describe, write(-ing, -ten).

c. in [1722 * en] [Strong: a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between 1519 and 1537); "in," at, (up-)on, by, etc.:--about, after, against, + almost, X altogether, among, X as, at, before, between, (here-)by (+ all means), for (... sake of), + give self wholly to, (here-)in(-to, -wardly), X mightily, (because) of, (up-)on, (open-)ly, X outwardly, one, X quickly, X shortly, (speedi-)ly, X that, X there(-in, -on), through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), under, when, where(-with), while, with(-in). Often used in compounds, with substantially the same import; rarely with verbs of motion, and then not to indicate direction, except (elliptically) by a separate (and different) preposition.]

d. the prophets [4396 * prophetes] [Strong: from a compound of 4253 and 5346; a foreteller ("prophet"); by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet:--prophet.]

1). The KJV and YLT are the only translations that use the plural of “prophet”. The reasoning of course is because there are two prophets cited, Isiah and Malachi. David Stern in his “Jewish New Testament Commentary” writes, “Only the last two lines quoted are from Isaiah; the first two are from Malachi. The scroll of the Prophets begins with Isaiah, and it was common to refer to a scroll by its first book”

2). The citation in this vers is from Malachi.

a). Malachi 3:1 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

2. “…Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.”

a. behold [2400 * idou] [Strong: second person singular imperative middle voice of 1492; used as imperative lo!; --behold, lo, see.]

b. I [1473 * ego] [Strong: a primary pronoun of the first person I (only expressed when emphatic):--I, me.]

c. send [649 * apostello] [Strong: from 575 and 4724; set apart, i.e. (by implication) to send out (properly, on a mission) literally or figuratively:--put in, send (away, forth, out), set (at liberty).]

d. my [3450 * mou] [Strong: the simpler form of 1700; of me:--I, me, mine (own), my.]

e. messenger [32 * aggelos] [Strong: from aggello (probably derived from 71; compare 34) (to bring tidings); a messenger; especially an "angel"; by implication, a pastor:--angel, messenger.]

f. before [4253 * pro] [Strong: a primary preposition; "fore", i.e. in front of, prior (figuratively, superior) to:--above, ago, before, or ever. In the comparative, it retains the same significations.]

g. thy [4675 * sou] [Strong: genitive case of 4771; of thee, thy:--X home, thee, thine (own), thou, thy.]

h. face [4383 * prosopon] [Strong: from 4314 and ops (the visage, from 3700); the front (as being towards view), i.e. the countenance, aspect, appearance, surface; by implication, presence, person:--(outward) appearance, X before, countenance, face, fashion, (men's) person, presence.]

i. which [3739 * hos] [Strong: ncluding feminine he hay, and neuter ho ho probably a primary word (or perhaps a form of the article 3588); the relatively (sometimes demonstrative) pronoun, who, which, what, that:--one, (an-, the) other, some, that, what, which, who(-m, -se), etc.]

j. shall prepare [2680 * kataskeuazo] [Strong: from 2596 and a derivative of 4632; to prepare thoroughly (properly, by external equipment; whereas 2090 refers rather to internal fitness); by implication, to construct, create:--build, make, ordain, prepare.]

k. thy [4675 * sou] See “thy” above.

l. way [3598 * hodos] [Strong: apparently a primary word; a road; by implication, a progress (the route, act or distance); figuratively, a mode or means:--journey, (high-)way.]

m. before [1715 * emprosthen] [Strong: from 1722 and 4314; in front of (in place (literally or figuratively) or time):--against, at, before, (in presence, sight) of.]

n. thee [4675 * sou] See “thy” above.

1). The reference in Malachi is “My messenger…before me.” Jesus Christ is Jehovah God.


No comments: