Friday, December 08, 2017

Song of Solomon 2:1



Song of Solomon 2:1

I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.

1. “I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.”

a. I [am] [Strong: 589 'aniy an-ee' contracted from 595; I:--I, (as for) me, mine, myself, we, X which, X who.]

b. [the] rose [Strong: 2261 chabatstseleth khab-ats-tseh'-leth of uncertain derivation; probably meadow-saffron:--rose.]

c. [of] Sharon [Strong: 8289 Sharown shaw-rone' probably abridged from 3474; plain, Sharon, the name of a place in Palestine:--Lasharon, Sharon.]

d. [and the] lily [Strong: 7799 shuwshan shoo-shan' or showshan {sho-shawn'}; or shoshan {sho- shawn'}; and (feminine) showshannah {sho-shan-naw'}; from 7797; a lily (from its whiteness), as a flower of arch. ornament; also a (straight) trumpet (from the tubular shape): lily, Shoshannim.]

e. [of the] valleys [Strong: 6010 `emeq ay'-mek from 6009; a vale (i.e. broad depression):--dale, vale, valley (often used as a part of proper names).]

1). Albert Barnes Commentary: The division of the chapters is unfortunate; Cant. 2 ought to have begun at Song of Solomon 1:15, or Cant. 1 to have been continued to Song of Solomon 2:7. The bride replies, "And I am like a lovely wild flower springing at the root of the stately forest-trees." The majority of Christian fathers assigned this verse to the King (Christ). Hebrew commentators generally assign it to the bride.

2). With the above information I have printed out the 13 verses that include Song of Solomon 1:12-17 & Song of Solomon 2:1-7. I can see the point that the rose of Sharon is not the bridegroom but the bride.

a). Song of Solomon 1:12-17 While the king sitteth at his table, my spikenard sendeth forth the smell thereof.
1:13 A bundle of myrrh is my well-beloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts.
1:14 My beloved is unto me as a cluster of camphire in the vineyards of Engedi.
1:15 Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes.
1:16 Behold, thou art fair, my beloved, yea, pleasant: also our bed is green.
1:17 The beams of our house are cedar, and our rafters of fir.
Song of Solomon 2:1-7 I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.
2:2 As the lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters.
2:3 As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste.
2:4 He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love.
2:5 Stay me with flagons, comfort me with apples: for I am sick of love.
2:6 His left hand is under my head, and his right hand doth embrace me.
2:7 I charge you, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, by the roes, and by the hinds of the field, that ye stir not up, nor awake my love, till he please.


No comments: