Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Deuteronomy 2:28

Deuteronomy 2:28


Thou shalt sell me meat for money, that I may eat; and give me water for money, that I may drink: only I will pass through on my feet;


a. ASV: Thou shalt sell me food for money, that I may eat; and give me water for money, that I may drink: only let me pass through on my feet;  [Thomas Nelson & Sons first published the American Standard Version in 1901. This translation of the Bible is in the public domain.]


b. YLT: Food for money thou dost sell me, and I have eaten; and water for money thou dost give to me, and I have drunk; only, let me pass over on my feet, --  [The Young's Literal Translation was translated by Robert Young, who believed in a strictly literal translation of God's word. This version of the Bible is in the public domain.]


c. Classic Amplified: You shall sell me food to eat and sell me water to drink; only let me walk through,  [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]


d. NLT: Sell us food to eat and water to drink, and we will pay for it. All we want is permission to pass through your land.  [Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.]


e. The Israel Bible: What food i eat you will supply for money, and what water I drink you will furnish for money; just let me pass through.   [The English Translation was adapted by Israel 365 from the JPS Tanakh. Copyright Ⓒ 1985 by the Jewish Publication Society. All rights reserved.]


f. Stone Edition THE CHUMASH, Rabbinic Commentary: You will sell me food for money, and I shall eat; and you will give me water for money, and I shall drink-- only let me pass through on foot. [The Artscroll Series/Stone Edition, THE CHUMASH Copyright 1998, 2000 by MESORAH PUBLICATIONS, Ldt.]


1. “Thou shalt sell me meat for money, that I may eat; and give me water for money, that I may drink: only I will pass through on my feet;”


a. [Thou shalt] sell [me] [Strong: 7666 shabar shaw-bar' denominative from 7668; to deal in grain:--buy, sell.]


b. meat [Strong: 400 'okel o'-kel from 398; food:--eating, food, meal(-time), meat, prey, victuals.]


c. [for] money [Strong: 3701 keçeph, keh'-sef; from H3700; silver (from its pale color); by implication, money:—money, price, silver(-ling).]


d. [that I may] eat [Strong: 398 'akal aw-kal' a primitive root; to eat (literally or figuratively):--X at all, burn up, consume, devour(-er, up), dine, eat(-er, up), feed (with), food, X freely, X in...wise(-deed, plenty), (lay) meat, X quite.]


e. [and] give [me] [Strong: 5414 nathan naw-than' a primitive root; to give, used with greatest latitude of application (put, make, etc.):--add, apply, appoint, ascribe, assign, X avenge, X be ((healed)), bestow, bring (forth, hither), cast, cause, charge, come, commit, consider, count, + cry, deliver (up), direct, distribute, do, X doubtless, X without fail, fasten, frame, X get, give (forth, over, up), grant, hang (up), X have, X indeed, lay (unto charge, up), (give) leave, lend, let (out), + lie, lift up, make, + O that, occupy, offer, ordain, pay, perform, place, pour, print, X pull , put (forth), recompense, render, requite, restore, send (out), set (forth), shew, shoot forth (up), + sing, + slander, strike, (sub-)mit, suffer, X surely, X take, thrust, trade, turn, utter, + weep, + willingly, + withdraw, + would (to) God, yield.]


f. water [Strong: 4325 mayim mah'-yim dual of a primitive noun (but used in a singular sense); water; figuratively, juice; by euphemism, urine, semen:--+ piss, wasting, water(-ing, (-course, -flood, -spring)).]


g. [for] money [Strong: 3701 keçeph, keh'-sef; from H3700; silver (from its pale color); by implication, money:—money, price, silver(-ling).]


h. [that I may] drink [Strong: 8354 shathah shaw-thaw' a primitive root; to imbibe (literally or figuratively):--X assuredly, banquet, X certainly, drink(-er, -ing), drunk (X -ard), surely.]

i. only [Strong: 7535 raq rak the same as 7534 as a noun; properly, leanness, i.e. (figuratively) limitation; only adverbial, merely, or conjunctional, although:--but, even, except, howbeit howsoever, at the least, nevertheless, nothing but, notwithstanding, only, save, so (that), surely, yet (so), in any wise.]


j. [I will] pass through [Strong: 5674 `abar aw-bar' a primitive root; to cross over; used very widely of any transition (literal or figurative; transitive, intransitive, intensive, causative); specifically, to cover (in copulation):--alienate, alter, X at all, beyond, bring (over, through), carry over, (over-)come (on, over), conduct (over), convey over, current, deliver, do away, enter, escape, fail, gender, get over, (make) go (away, beyond, by, forth, his way, in, on, over, through), have away (more), lay, meddle, overrun, make partition, (cause to, give, make to, over) pass(-age, along, away, beyond, by, -enger, on, out, over, through), (cause to, make) + proclaim(-amation), perish, provoke to anger, put away, rage, + raiser of taxes, remove, send over, set apart, + shave, cause to (make) sound, X speedily, X sweet smelling, take (away), (make to) transgress(-or), translate, turn away, (way-)faring man, be wrath.]


k. [on my] feet [Strong: 7272 regel reh'-gel from 7270; a foot (as used in walking); by implication, a step; by euphem. the pudenda:--X be able to endure, X according as, X after, X coming, X follow, ((broken-))foot((-ed, -stool)), X great toe, X haunt, X journey, leg, + piss, + possession, time.]


1). Recorded in Numbers 21.


a). Numbers 21:21, 22 And Israel sent messengers unto Sihon king of the Amorites, saying,

21:22 Let me pass through thy land: we will not turn into the fields, or into the vineyards; we will not drink of the waters of the well: but we will go along by the king's high way, until we be past thy borders.

 

No comments: