Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Colossians 3:9

Colossians 3:9

Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

a. NLT: Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds.

b. NIV: Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices
          
c. YLT: Lie not one to another, having put off the old man with his practices,

d. Amplified Bible Classic: Do not lie to one another, for you have stripped off the old (unregenerate) self with its evil practices,

e. Worrell Translation: Lie not one to another, having put off the old man wuth his practices.

f. Wuest Translation:Stop lying to one another, having stripped of and away from yourselves and for your own advantage the old, antiquated, outworn, decrepit, useless man [that person you were before you were saved] with his evil practices.

g. Peshitta Eastern Text: Do not lie one to another, but put away the old life with its practices.

1. “Lie not one to another…”

a. Lie [Strong: 5574 pseudomai psyoo'-dom-ahee middle voice of an apparently primary verb; to utter an untruth or attempt to deceive by falsehood:--falsely, lie.]

b. not [Strong: 3361 me may a primary particle of qualified negation (whereas 3756 expresses an absolute denial); (adverb) not, (conjunction) lest; also (as an interrogative implying a negative answer (whereas 3756 expects an affirmative one)) whether:--any but (that), X forbear, + God forbid, + lack, lest, neither, never, no (X wise in), none, nor, (can-)not, nothing, that not, un(-taken), without. Often used in compounds in substantially the same relations.]

c. one...another [Strong: 240 allelon al-lay'-lone Genitive plural from 243 reduplicated; one another:--each other, mutual, one another, (the other), (them-, your-)selves, (selves) together (sometimes with 3326 or 4314).]

d. to [Strong: 1519 eis ice a primary preposition; to or into (indicating the point reached or entered), of place, time, or (figuratively) purpose (result, etc.); also in adverbial phrases:--(abundant-)ly, against, among, as, at, (back-)ward, before, by, concerning, + continual, + far more exceeding, for (intent, purpose), fore, + forth, in (among, at, unto, -so much that, -to), to the intent that, + of one mind, + never, of, (up-)on, + perish, + set at one again, (so) that, therefore(-unto), throughout, til, to (be, the end, -ward), (here-)until(-to), ...ward, (where-)fore, with. Often used in composition with the same general import, but only with verbs (etc.) expressing motion (literally or figuratively).]

2. “…seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;”

a. [seeing that ye have] put off [Strong: 554 apekduomai ap-ek-doo'-om-ahee middle voice from 575 and 1562; to divest wholly oneself, or (for oneself) despoil:--put off, spoil.]

b. the [Strong: 3588 ho ho, including the feminine he hay, and the neuter to to in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom):--the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.]

c. old [Strong: 3820 palaios pal-ah-yos' from 3819; antique, i.e. not recent, worn out:--old.]

d. man [Strong: 444 anthropos anth'-ro-pos from 435 and ops (the countenance; from 3700); man-faced, i.e. a human being:--certain, man.]

e. with [Strong: 4862 sun soon a primary preposition denoting union; with or together (but much closer than 3326 or 3844), i.e. by association, companionship, process, resemblance, possession, instrumentality, addition, etc.:--beside, with. In composition it has similar applications, including completeness.]

f. his [Strong: 846 autos ow-tos' from the particle au (perhaps akin to the base of 109 through the idea of a baffling wind) (backward); the reflexive pronoun self, used (alone or in the comparative 1438) of the third person , and (with the proper personal pronoun) of the other persons:--her, it(-self), one, the other, (mine) own, said, (self-), the) same, ((him-, my-, thy- )self, (your-)selves, she, that, their(-s), them(-selves), there(-at, - by, -in, -into, -of, -on, -with), they, (these) things, this (man), those, together, very, which.]

g. deeds [Strong: 4234 praxis prax'-is from 4238; practice, i.e. (concretely) an act; by extension, a function:--deed, office, work.]

1). The old man referenced here is identified as “the body of sin”. It is the nature of man that man lives in before he is born again. It can only be destroyed through the new birth.

a). Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

b). Colossians 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

c). 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

2). The “body of sin” Paul mentions in Romans 6:6 is described by Paul in Romans 7.

a). Romans 7:14-25 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

b). Ephesians 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;


No comments: