Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Psalm 40:1

Psalm 40:1


{To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.} I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.


a. NLT: For the choir director: A psalm of David. I waited patiently for the LORD to help me,

and he turned to me and heard my cry. [Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.]


b. ASV: For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. I waited patiently for Jehovah; And he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.  [Thomas Nelson & Sons first published the American Standard Version in 1901. This translation of the Bible is in the public domain.]


c. YLT:  For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. I waited patiently for Jehovah; And he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.  [The Young's Literal Translation was translated by Robert Young, who believed in a strictly literal translation of God's word. This version of the Bible is in the public domain.]


d. Classic Amplified: To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. I waited patiently and expectantly for the Lord; and He inclined to me and heard my cry.   [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]


e.Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/ Writings: For the conductor, by David, a psalm. I have greatly hoped for HASHEM; he inclined to me, and heard my cry. [The Artscroll Series/Stone Edition, THE TANACH--STUDENT SIZE EDITION Copyright 1996, 1998 by Mesorah Publications, Ldt.]


1. “To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David…”


a. [To the] chief musician [Strong: 5329 natsach naw-tsakh' a primitive root; properly, to glitter from afar, i.e. to be eminent (as a superintendent, especially of the Temple services and its music); also (as denominative from 5331), to be permanent:--excel, chief musician (singer), oversee(-r), set forward.]


b. [a] Psalm [Strong: 4210 mizmowr miz-more' from 2167; properly, instrumental music; by implication, a poem set to notes:--psalm.]


c. [of] David 1732 David daw-veed' rarely (fully); Daviyd {daw-veed'}; from the same as 1730; loving; David, the youngest son of Jesse:--David.]


2. “...I waited patiently for the LORD…”


a. [I] waited [Strong: 6960 qavah kaw-vaw' a primitive root; to bind together (perhaps by twisting), i.e. collect; (figuratively) to expect:--gather (together), look, patiently, tarry, wait (for, on, upon).]


b. patiently [Strong: 6960 qavah kaw-vaw' a primitive root; to bind together (perhaps by twisting), i.e. collect; (figuratively) to expect:--gather (together), look, patiently, tarry, wait (for, on, upon).]


c. [for the] LORD [Strong: 3068 Yhovah yeh-ho-vaw' from 1961; (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God:--Jehovah, the Lord.]


3. “...and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.”


a. [and he] inclined [Strong: 5186 natah naw-taw' a primitive root; to stretch or spread out; by implication, to bend away (including moral deflection); used in a great variety of application (as follows):--+ afternoon, apply, bow (down, - ing), carry aside, decline, deliver, extend, go down, be gone, incline, intend, lay, let down, offer, outstretched, overthrown, pervert, pitch, prolong, put away, shew, spread (out), stretch (forth, out), take (aside), turn (aside, away), wrest, cause to yield.]


b. unto [me] [Strong: 413 'el ale (but only used in the shortened constructive form sel {el}); a primitive particle; properly, denoting motion towards, but occasionally used of a quiescent position, i.e. near, with or among; often in general, to:--about, according to ,after, against, among, as for, at, because(-fore, -side), both...and, by, concerning, for, from, X hath, in(- to), near, (out) of, over, through, to(-ward), under, unto, upon, whether, with(-in).]


c. [and] heard [Strong: 8085 shama` shaw-mah' a primitive root; to hear intelligently (often with implication of attention, obedience, etc.; causatively, to tell, etc.):--X attentively, call (gather) together, X carefully, X certainly, consent, consider, be content, declare, X diligently, discern, give ear, (cause to, let, make to) hear(-ken, tell), X indeed, listen, make (a) noise, (be) obedient, obey, perceive, (make a) proclaim(-ation), publish, regard, report, shew (forth), (make a) sound, X surely, tell, understand, whosoever (heareth), witness.]


d. [my] cry [Strong: 7775 shav`ah shav-aw' feminine of 7773; a hallooing:--crying.]


No comments: