Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Acts 13:25



Acts 13:25

And as John fulfilled his course, he said, Whom think ye that I am? I am not he. But, behold, there cometh one after me, whose shoes of his feet I am not worthy to loose.

a. NLT: As John was finishing his ministry he asked, ‘Do you think I am the Messiah? No, I am not! But he is coming soon—and I’m not even worthy to be his slave and untie the sandals on his feet.’

b. NIV: As John was completing his work, he said: ‘Who do you suppose I am? I am not the one you are looking for. But there is one coming after me whose sandals I am not worthy to untie.’

c. YLT: and as John was fulfilling the course, he said, Whom me do ye suppose to be? I am not he, but, lo, he doth come after me, of whom I am not worthy to loose the sandal of his feet.

d. Amplified Bible Classic:  And as John was ending his course, he asked, What or
who do you secretly think that I am? I am not He [the Christ. No], but note that after me One is coming, the sandals of Whose feet I am not worthy to untie!

e. Worrell Translation: And as John was fulfilling his course, he said, ‘What do ye suppose me to be? I am not He. But, behold, there cometh One after me, the sandals of Whose feet I am not worthy to unloose.

1. “And as John fulfilled his course…”

a. And [Strong: 1161 * de deh a primary particle (adversative or continuative); but, and, etc.:--also, and, but, moreover, now (often unexpressed in English).]

b. as [Strong: 5613 * hos hoce probably adverb of comparative from 3739; which how, i.e. in that manner (very variously used, as follows):--about, after (that), (according) as (it had been, it were), as soon (as), even as (like), for, how (greatly), like (as, unto), since, so (that), that, to wit, unto, when(-soever), while, X with all speed.]

c. John [Strong: 2491 * Ioannes ee-o-an'-nace of Hebrew origin (3110); Joannes (i.e. Jochanan), the name of four Israelites:--John.]

d. fulfilled [Strong: 4137 * pleroo play-ro'-o from 4134; to make replete, i.e. (literally) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (figuratively) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify (or coincide with a prediction), etc.:--accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfil, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.]

e. his course [Strong: 1408 * dromos drom'-os from the alternate of 5143; a race, i.e. (figuratively) career:--course.]

1). His course was the forerunner of the Messiah which jesus said placed him as the greatest of all the prophets.

a). Matthew 11:7-11 And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind?
11:8 But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings' houses.
11:9 But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet.
11:10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
11:11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

2. “…he said, Whom think ye that I am? I am not he.”

a. he said [Strong: 3004 * lego leg'-o a primary verb; properly, to "lay" forth, i.e. (figuratively) relate (in words (usually of systematic or set discourse; whereas 2036 and 5346 generally refer to an individual expression or speech respectively; while 4483 is properly to break silence merely, and 2980 means an extended or random harangue)); by implication, to mean:--ask, bid, boast, call, describe, give out, name, put forth, say(-ing, on), shew, speak, tell, utter.]

b. Whom [Strong: 5101 * tis tis probably emphatic of 5100; an interrogative pronoun, who, which or what (in direct or indirect questions):--every man, how (much), + no(-ne, thing), what (manner, thing), where (-by, -fore, -of, -unto, - with, -withal), whether, which, who(-m, -se), why.]

c. think ye [Strong: 5282 * huponoeo hoop-on-o-eh'-o from 5259 and 3539; to think under (privately), i.e. to surmise or conjecture:--think, suppose, deem.]

d. that I [Strong: 3165 * me meh a shorter (and probably originally) from of 1691; me:--I, me, my.]

e. am [Strong: 1511 * einai i'-nahee present infinitive from 1510; to exist:--am, was. come, is, X lust after, X please well, there is, to be, was.]

f. I [Strong: 1473 * ego eg-o' a primary pronoun of the first person I (only expressed when emphatic):--I, me.]

g. am [Strong: 1510 * eimi i-mee' the first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist (used only when emphatic):--am, have been, X it is I, was.]

h. not [Strong: 3756 * ou oo, also (before a vowel) ouk ook, and (before an aspirate) ouch ookh a primary word; the absolute negative (compare 3361) adverb; no or not:--+ long, nay, neither, never, no (X man), none, (can-)not, + nothing, + special, un(-worthy), when, + without, + yet but.]



3. “…But, behold, there cometh one after me, whose shoes of his feet I am not worthy to loose.

a. But [Strong: 235 * alla al-lah' neuter plural of 243; properly, other things, i.e. (adverbially) contrariwise (in many relations):--and, but (even), howbeit, indeed, nay, nevertheless, no, notwithstanding, save, therefore, yea, yet.

b. behold [Strong: 2400 * idou id-oo' second person singular imperative middle voice of 1492; used as imperative lo!; --behold, lo, see.]

c. there cometh one [Strong: 2064 * erchomai er'-khom-ahee middle voice of a primary verb (used only in the present and imperfect tenses, the others being supplied by a kindred (middle voice) eleuthomai el-yoo'-thom-ahee, or (active) eltho el'-tho, which do not otherwise occur) to come or go (in a great variety of applications, literally and figuratively):--accompany, appear, bring, come, enter, fall out, go, grow, X light, X next, pass, resort, be set.]

d. after [Strong: 3326 * meta met-ah' a primary preposition (often used adverbially); properly, denoting accompaniment; "amid" (local or causal); modified variously according to the case (genitive association, or accusative succession) with which it is joined; occupying an intermediate position between 575 or 1537 and 1519 or 4314; less intimate than 1722 and less close than 4862):--after(-ward), X that he again, against, among, X and, + follow, hence, hereafter, in, of, (up-)on, + our, X and setting, since, (un-)to, + together, when, with (+ -out). Often used in composition, in substantially the same relations of participation or proximity, and transfer or sequence.]

e. me [Strong: 1691 * eme em-eh' a prolonged form of 3165; me:--I, me, my(-self).]

f. whose [Strong: 3739 * hos hos, including feminine he hay, and neuter ho ho probably a primary word (or perhaps a form of the article 3588); the relatively (sometimes demonstrative) pronoun, who, which, what, that:--one, (an-, the) other, some, that, what, which, who(-m, -se), etc.]

g. shoes [Strong: 5266 * hupodema hoop-od'-ay-mah from 5265; something bound under the feet, i.e. a shoe or sandal:--shoe.]

h. I am [Strong: 1510 * eimi i-mee' the first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist (used only when emphatic):--am, have been, X it is I, was.]

i. not [Strong: 3756 * ou oo, also (before a vowel) ouk ook, and (before an aspirate) ouch ookh a primary word; the absolute negative (compare 3361) adverb; no or not:--+ long, nay, neither, never, no (X man), none, (can-)not, + nothing, + special, un(-worthy), when, + without, + yet but.]

j. worthy [Strong: 514 * axios ax'-ee-os probably from 71; deserving, comparable or suitable (as if drawing praise):--due reward, meet, (un-)worthy.]

k. to loose [Strong: 3089 * luo loo'-o a primary verb; to "loosen" (literally or figuratively):--break (up), destroy, dissolve, (un-)loose, melt, put off.]

1). John rightly declared that he was not worthy to unloose the sandals of Christ. Jesus said that John was the greatest prophet because he was the forerunner of the Messiah.

a). Matthew 11:7-11 And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind?
11:8 But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings' houses.
11:9 But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet.
11:10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
11:11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.


No comments: