Thursday, January 11, 2018

Romans 6:20



Romans 6:20

For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

1. “For when ye were the servants of sin…”

a. For [Strong: 1063 gar gar a primary particle; properly, assigning a reason (used in argument, explanation or intensification; often with other particles):--and, as, because (that), but, even, for, indeed, no doubt, seeing, then, therefore, verily, what, why, yet.]

b. when [Strong: 3753 hote hot'-eh from 3739 and 5037; at which (thing) too, i.e. when:--after (that), as soon as, that, when, while.]

c. ye were [Strong: 2258 en ane imperfect of 1510; I (thou, etc.) was (wast or were):--+ agree, be, X have (+ charge of), hold, use, was(-t), were.]

d. [the] servants [Strong: 1401 doulos doo'-los from 1210; a slave (literal or figurative, involuntary or voluntary; frequently, therefore in a qualified sense of subjection or subserviency):--bond(-man), servant.]

e. [of] sin [Strong: 266 hamartia ham-ar-tee'-ah from 264; a sin (properly abstract):--offence, sin(-ful).]

1). Before the New Birth we were the servants of sin. The law of sin and death operated in our members. We obeyed the lusts of the flesh yielding to temptation and unable to resist.

a). Romans 7:15-24 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

b). Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

2. “…ye were free from righteousness.”

a. ye were [Strong: 2258 en ane imperfect of 1510; I (thou, etc.) was (wast or were):--+ agree, be, X have (+ charge of), hold, use, was(-t), were.]

b. free [Strong: 1658 eleutheros el-yoo'-ther-os probably from the alternate of 2064; unrestrained (to go at pleasure), i.e. (as a citizen) not a slave (whether freeborn or manumitted), or (genitive case) exempt (from obligation or liability):--free (man, woman), at liberty.]

c. [from] righteousness [Strong: 1343 dikaiosune dik-ah-yos-oo'-nay from 1342; equity (of character or act); specially (Christian) justification:--righteousness.]

No comments: