Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Ezekiel 34:23

Ezekiel 34:23

And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd.

a. NLT: And I will set over them one shepherd, my servant David. He will feed them and be a shepherd to them.

b. NIV: I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he will tend them; he will tend them and be their shepherd.

c. YLT: And have raised up over them one shepherd, And he hath fed them -- my servant David, He doth feed them, and he is their shepherd,

d. Amplified Bible: “Then I will appoint over them one shepherd and he will feed them, [a ruler like] My servant David; he will feed them and be their shepherd.

1). Note in Amplified Bible:  Ezekiel 34:23 The name of David is used here as in Ezekiel  34:24; 37:24, 25; Jer 30:9; Hos 3:5, to represent the Messiah, not the man, David king of Israel. It is believed that this Messianic prophecy would have been understood by Ezekiel’s audience.

2). I disagree with this position completely. I personally believe that David will be established as King of Israel under Christ Jesus.

e. Septuagint: And I will raise up one shepherd over them, and he shall tend them, [even] my servant David, and he shall be their shepherd; 

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: I will establish over them a single shepherd and he will tend them—my servant David; he will tend them and he will be a shepherd unto them.

1. “And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them…”

a. I will set up [6965 * quwm] [Strong: a primitive root; to rise (in various applications, literal, figurative, intensive and causative):--abide, accomplish, X be clearer, confirm, continue, decree, X be dim, endure, X enemy, enjoin, get up, make good, help, hold, (help to) lift up (again), make, X but newly, ordain, perform, pitch, raise (up), rear (up), remain, (a-)rise (up) (again, against), rouse up, set (up), (e-)stablish, (make to) stand (up), stir up, strengthen, succeed, (as-, make) sure(-ly), (be) up(-hold, - rising).]

b. one [259 *  'echad] [Strong: a numeral from 258; properly, united, i.e. one; or (as an ordinal) first:--a, alike, alone, altogether, and, any(-thing), apiece, a certain, (dai-)ly, each (one), + eleven, every, few, first, + highway, a man, once, one, only, other, some, together,]

c. shepherd over them and he shall feed them [7462 *  ra`ah] [Strong: a primitive root; to tend a flock; i.e. pasture it; intransitively, to graze (literally or figuratively); generally to rule; by extension, to associate with (as a friend):--X break, companion, keep company with, devour, eat up, evil entreat, feed, use as a friend, make friendship with, herdman, keep (sheep)(-er), pastor, + shearing house, shepherd, wander, waste.]

2. “…even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd.”

a. my servant [5650 * `ebed] [Strong: from 5647; a servant:--X bondage, bondman, (bond-)servant, (man-)servant.]

b. David [1732 * David, rarely Daviyd] [Strong: from the same as 1730; loving; David, the youngest son of Jesse:--David.]

c. he shall feed them and he shall be their shepherd [7462 *  ra`ah] [Strong: a primitive root; to tend a flock; i.e. pasture it; intransitively, to graze (literally or figuratively); generally to rule; by extension, to associate with (as a friend):--X break, companion, keep company with, devour, eat up, evil entreat, feed, use as a friend, make friendship with, herdman, keep (sheep)(-er), pastor, + shearing house, shepherd, wander, waste.]

1). In order to establish why I believe David will be raised I will have to look at the other passages that I believe address it.

a).  Ezekiel 34:24; 37:24, 25; Jeremiah 30:9; Hosea 3:5

No comments: