Sunday, November 29, 2015

John 17:4

John 17:4

I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

a. NLT: I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.

b. NIV: I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do.

c. YLT: I did glorify Thee on the earth, the work I did finish that Thou hast given me, that I may do it.

d. Amplified Bible: I have glorified You down here on the earth by completing the work that You gave Me to do.

e. Worrell Translation: I glorified Thee on the earth; having completed the work which Thou hast given Me to do.

1. “I have glorified thee on the earth…”

a. I [1473 * ego] [Strong: a primary pronoun of the first person I (only expressed when emphatic):--I, me.]

b. have glorified [1392 * doxazo] [Strong: from 1391; to render (or esteem) glorious (in a wide application):--(make) glorify(-ious), full of (have) glory, honour, magnify.]

c. thee [4571 * se] [Strong: accusative case singular of 4771; thee:--thee, thou, X thy house.]

d. on [1909 * epi] [Strong: a primary preposition; properly, meaning superimposition (of time, place, order, etc.), as a relation of distribution (with the genitive case), i.e. over, upon, etc.; of rest (with the dative case) at, on, etc.; of direction (with the accusative case) towards, upon, etc.:--about (the times), above, after, against, among, as long as (touching), at, beside, X have charge of, (be-, (where-))fore, in (a place, as much as, the time of, -to), (because) of, (up-)on (behalf of), over, (by, for) the space of, through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), with. In compounds it retains essentially the same import, at, upon, etc. (literally or figuratively).]

e. the earth [1093 * ge] [Strong: contracted from a primary word; soil; by extension a region, or the solid part or the whole of the terrene globe (including the occupants in each application):--country, earth(-ly), ground, land, world.]

2. “…I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.”

a. I have finished [5048 * teleioo] [Strong: from 5046; to complete, i.e. (literally) accomplish, or (figuratively) consummate (in character):--consecrate, finish, fulfil, make) perfect.]

b. the work [2041 * ergon] [Strong: from a primary (but obsolete) ergo (to work); toil (as an effort or occupation); by implication, an act:--deed, doing, labour, work.]

c. which [3739 * hos, including feminine he, and neuter ho] [Strong: probably a primary word (or perhaps a form of the article 3588); the relatively (sometimes demonstrative) pronoun, who, which, what, that:--one, (an-, the) other, some, that, what, which, who(-m, -se), etc.]

d. thou gavest [1325 * didomi] [Strong:  a prolonged form of a primary verb (which is used as an alternative in most of the tenses); to give (used in a very wide application, properly, or by implication, literally or figuratively; greatly modified by the connection):--adventure, bestow, bring forth, commit, deliver (up), give, grant, hinder, make, minister, number, offer, have power, put, receive, set, shew, smite (+ with the hand), strike (+ with the palm of the hand), suffer, take, utter, yield.]

e. me [3427 * moi] [Strong: the simpler form of 1698; to me:--I, me, mine, my.]

f. to [2443 * hina] [Strong: probably from the same as the former part of 1438 (through the demonstrative idea; compare 3588); in order that (denoting the purpose or the result):--albeit, because, to the intent (that), lest, so as, (so) that, (for) to.]

g. do [4160 * poieo] [Strong: apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do (in a very wide application, more or less direct):--abide, + agree, appoint, X avenge, + band together, be, bear, + bewray, bring (forth), cast out, cause, commit, + content, continue, deal, + without any delay, (would) do(-ing), execute, exercise, fulfil, gain, give, have, hold, X journeying, keep, + lay wait, + lighten the ship, make, X mean, + none of these things move me, observe, ordain, perform, provide, + have purged, purpose, put, + raising up, X secure, shew, X shoot out, spend, take, tarry, + transgress the law, work, yield.]



No comments: