Monday, January 04, 2016

Romans 7:23

Romans 7:23

But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

a. NLT: But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me.

b. NIV: but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.

c. YLT: and I behold another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of the sin that is in my members.

d. Amplified Bible Classic:  But I discern in my bodily members [[d]in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh] a different law (rule of action) at war against the law of my mind (my reason) and making me a prisoner to the law of sin that dwells in my bodily organs [[e]in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh].

e. Worrell Translation: But I see a different law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, andbringing me into captivity to the law of sin in my members.

1. “But I see another law in my members…”

a. But [1161 * de] [Strong: a primary particle (adversative or continuative); but, and, etc.:--also, and, but, moreover, now (often unexpressed in English).]

b. I see [991 * blepo] [Strong: a primary verb; to look at (literally or figuratively):--behold, beware, lie, look (on, to), perceive, regard, see, sight, take heed.]

c. another [2087 * heteros] [Strong: of uncertain affinity; (an-, the) other or different:--altered, else, next (day), one, (an-)other, some, strange.]

d. law [3551 * nomos] [Strong:  from a primary nemo (to parcel out, especially food or grazing to animals); law (through the idea of prescriptive usage), genitive case (regulation), specially, (of Moses (including the volume); also of the Gospel), or figuratively (a principle):--law.]

e. in [1722 * en] [Strong: a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between 1519 and 1537); "in," at, (up-)on, by, etc.:--about, after, against, + almost, X altogether, among, X as, at, before, between, (here-)by (+ all means), for (... sake of), + give self wholly to, (here-)in(-to, -wardly), X mightily, (because) of, (up-)on, (open-)ly, X outwardly, one, X quickly, X shortly, (speedi-)ly, X that, X there(-in, -on), through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), under, when, where(-with), while, with(-in). Often used in compounds, with substantially the same import; rarely with verbs of motion, and then not to indicate direction, except (elliptically) by a separate (and different) preposition.]

f. my [3450 * mou] [Strong: the simpler form of 1700; of me:--I, me, mine (own), my.]

g. members [3196 * melos] [Strong: of uncertain affinity; a limb or part of the body:--member.]

1). The law that Paul sees in his members is the law of sin and death.

2. “…warring against the law of my mind…”

a. warring against [497 * antistrateuomai; anti-against;  strateuomai-to war] [Strong: from 473 and 4754; (figuratively) to attack, i.e. (by implication) destroy:--war against.]

1). The law of sin and death in our members will war against the law in our minds, the law that says what we ought to do. This includes the lusts of the flesh.

a). 1 Peter 2:11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

b. the law [3551 * nomos] [Strong:  from a primary nemo (to parcel out, especially food or grazing to animals); law (through the idea of prescriptive usage), genitive case (regulation), specially, (of Moses (including the volume); also of the Gospel), or figuratively (a principle):--law.]

c. of my [3450 * mou] [Strong: the simpler form of 1700; of me:--I, me, mine (own), my.]

d. mind [3563 * nous] [Strong: probably from the base of 1097; the intellect, i.e. mind (divine or human; in thought, feeling, or will); by implication, meaning:--mind, understanding.]

3. “…and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.”

a. and [2532 * kai] [Strong:  apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]

b. bringing…into captivity [163 *  aichmalotizo;  from 164; to make captive:--lead away captive, bring into captivity.]

c. me [3165 * me] [Strong: a shorter (and probably originally) from of 1691; me:--I, me, my.]

d. to the law [3551 * nomos] [Strong:  from a primary nemo (to parcel out, especially food or grazing to animals); law (through the idea of prescriptive usage), genitive case (regulation), specially, (of Moses (including the volume); also of the Gospel), or figuratively (a principle):--law.]

e. of sin [266 * hamartia] [Strong: from 264; a sin (properly abstract):--offence, sin(-ful).]

f. which [3588 * ho; including the feminine he, and the neuter to] [Strong: in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom):--the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.]

g. is [5607 * on; including the feminine ousa,  and the neuter on] [Strong: present participle of 1510; being:--be, come, have.]

h. in [1722 * en] [Strong: a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between 1519 and 1537); "in," at, (up-)on, by, etc.:--about, after, against, + almost, X altogether, among, X as, at, before, between, (here-)by (+ all means), for (... sake of), + give self wholly to, (here-)in(-to, -wardly), X mightily, (because) of, (up-)on, (open-)ly, X outwardly, one, X quickly, X shortly, (speedi-)ly, X that, X there(-in, -on), through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), under, when, where(-with), while, with(-in). Often used in compounds, with substantially the same import; rarely with verbs of motion, and then not to indicate direction, except (elliptically) by a separate (and different) preposition.]

i. my [3450 * mou] [Strong: the simpler form of 1700; of me:--I, me, mine (own), my.]

j. members [3196 * melos] [Strong: of uncertain affinity; a limb or part of the body:--member.]


No comments: