Thursday, May 05, 2016

1 Samuel 20:14

1 Samuel 20:14

And thou shalt not only while yet I live shew me the kindness of the LORD, that I die not:

a. NLT: And may you treat me with the faithful love of the LORD as long as I live. But if I die,

b. NIV: But show me unfailing kindness like the LORD’s kindness as long as I live, so that I may not be killed,

c. YLT: and not only while I am alive dost thou do with me the kindness of Jehovah, and I die not,

d. Amplified Bible Classic: While I am still alive you shall not only show me the loving-kindness of the Lord, so that I die not,

e. Septuagint: And if indeed I continue to live, then shalt thou deal mercifully with me; and if I indeed die,

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: I need not [ask anything of you] if I will still be alive [when you become king], for would you not do with me the kindness of HASHEM, so that I will not die?

1. “And thou shalt not only while yet I live shew me the kindness of the LORD…”

a. thou shalt not only  while yet [518 *’im] [Strong: a primitive particle; used very widely as demonstrative, lo!; interrog., whether?; or conditional, if, although; also Oh that!, when; hence, as a negative, not:--(and, can-, doubtless, if, that) (not), + but, either, + except, + more(-over if, than), neither, nevertheless, nor, oh that, or, + save (only, -ing), seeing, since, sith, + surely (no more, none, not), though, + of a truth, + unless, + verily, when, whereas, whether, while, + yet.]

b. I live [2416 * chay] [Strong: from 2421; alive; hence, raw (flesh); fresh (plant, water, year), strong; also (as noun, especially in the feminine singular and masculine plural) life (or living thing), whether literally or figuratively:--+ age, alive, appetite, (wild) beast, company, congregation, life(-time), live(-ly), living (creature, thing), maintenance, + merry, multitude, + (be) old, quick, raw, running, springing, troop.]

c. shew [6213 * `asah] [Strong: a primitive root; to do or make, in the broadest sense and widest application (as follows):--accomplish, advance, appoint, apt, be at, become, bear, bestow, bring forth, bruise, be busy, X certainly, have the charge of, commit, deal (with), deck, + displease, do, (ready) dress(-ed), (put in) execute(-ion), exercise, fashion, + feast, (fight-)ing man, + finish, fit, fly, follow, fulfill, furnish, gather, get, go about, govern, grant, great, + hinder, hold ((a feast)), X indeed, + be industrious, + journey, keep, labour, maintain, make, be meet, observe, be occupied, offer, + officer, pare, bring (come) to pass, perform, pracise, prepare, procure, provide, put, requite, X sacrifice, serve, set, shew, X sin, spend, X surely, take, X thoroughly, trim, X very, + vex, be (warr-)ior, work(-man), yield, use.]

d. the kindness [2617 * checed] [Strong: from 2616; kindness; by implication (towards God) piety: rarely (by opposition) reproof, or (subject.) beauty:--favour, good deed(-liness, -ness), kindly, (loving-)kindness, merciful (kindness), mercy, pity, reproach, wicked thing.]

e. of the LORD [3068 * Yhovah] [Strong: from 1961; (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God:--Jehovah, the Lord.]

1). Albert Barnes Commentary: The general meaning is: Jonathan had a presentiment, doubtless from God, that David would be established upon the throne. By God's mercy he had the comfort, which he well deserved, of knowing that his own posterity would receive kindness at David's hand (see the marginal references).

2). Adam Clarke Commentary: Show me the kindness of the Lord - When thou comest to the kingdom, if I am alive, thou shalt show kindness to me, and thou shalt continue that kindness to my family after me.

3). John Gill Commentary: [Jonathan] …had no fear nor dread on his mind, should David come to the throne while he was alive, that he would take away his life; which was usually done by tyrants and usurpers, when there were any that had a fairer title, and better claim to the throne than they.

4). Only the Jewish translation inserts the knowledge that Jonathan knew that David would become king.

2. “…that I die not.”

 a. that I die not [4191 * muwth] [Strong: a primitive root: to die (literally or figuratively); causatively, to kill:--X at all, X crying, (be) dead (body, man, one), (put to, worthy of) death, destroy(-er), (cause to, be like to, must) die, kill, necro(-mancer), X must needs, slay, X surely, X very suddenly, X in (no) wise.]

1). Dake Commentary: Jonathan here referred to the time David would become king and have power to cut him and his family off, if he so desired; so, in return for sparing the life of David by saving him from Saul, Jonathan asked him to make a vow to show kindness to his house forever (1 Samuel 20:14-16).


No comments: