Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Hosea 1:9



Hosea 1:9

Then said God, Call his name Loammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.

a. NLT: And the LORD said, “Name him Lo-ammi—‘Not my people’—for Israel is not my people, and I am not their God.

b. NIV: Then the LORD said, “Call him Lo-Ammi (which means “not my people”), for you are not my people, and I am not your God.

c. YLT: and He saith, 'Call his name Lo-Ammi, for ye are not My people, and I am not for you;

d. Amplified Bible Classic: And the Lord said, Call his name Lo-Ammi [Not-my-people], for you are not My people and I am not your God.

e. Septuagint: And he said, Call his name, Not my people: for ye are not my people, and I am not your [God].

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: [God] said, “Call his name Lo-ammi (Not My People); for you are not My people, and I will not be yours.

1. “Then said God, Call his name Loammi…”

a. Then said [559 * 'amar] [Strong: a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

b. call [7121 * qara'] [Strong: a primitive root (rather identical with 7122 through the idea of accosting a person met); to call out to (i.e. properly, address by name, but used in a wide variety of applications):--bewray (self), that are bidden, call (for, forth, self, upon), cry (unto), (be) famous, guest, invite, mention, (give) name, preach, (make) proclaim(- ation), pronounce, publish, read, renowned, say.]

c. his name [8034 * shem] [Strong: a primitive word (perhaps rather from 7760 through the idea of definite and conspicuous position; Compare 8064); an appellation, as a mark or memorial of individuality; by implication honor, authority, character:--+ base, (in-)fame(-ous), named(-d), renown, report.]

d. Loammi [3818 * Lo' `Ammiy] [Strong: from 3808 and 5971 with pronominal suffix; not my people; Lo-Ammi, the symbolic name of a son of Hosea:--Lo-ammi.]

2. “…for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.”

a. for [3588 * kiy] [Strong: a primitive particle (the full form of the prepositional prefix) indicating causal relations of all kinds, antecedent or consequent; (by implication) very widely used as a relative conjunction or adverb (as below); often largely modified by other particles annexed:--and, + (forasmuch, inasmuch, where-)as, assured(-ly), + but, certainly, doubtless, + else, even, + except, for, how, (because, in, so, than) that, + nevertheless, now, rightly, seeing, since, surely, then, therefore, + (al- )though, + till, truly, + until, when, whether, while, whom, yea, yet.]

b. you [859 * 'attah; at-taw' or (shortened); aatta {at-taw'}; or wath {ath}; feminine (irregular) sometimes nattiy {at-tee'}; plural masculine attem {at- tem'}; feminine atten {at-ten'}; or oattenah {at-tay'naw}; or fattennah {at-tane'-naw}] [Strong: a primitive pronoun of the second person; thou and thee, or (plural) ye and you:--thee, thou, ye, you.]

c. not [Strong: 3808 * lo' lo or lowi {lo}; or loh (Deut. 3:11) {lo}; a primitive particle; not (the simple or abs. negation); by implication, no; often used with other particles (as follows):--X before, + or else, ere, + except, ig(-norant), much, less, nay, neither, never, no((-ne), -r, (-thing)), (X as though...,(can-), for) not (out of), of nought, otherwise, out of, + surely, + as truly as, + of a truth, + verily, for want, + whether, without.]

d. my people [Strong: 5971 * `am am from 6004; a people (as a congregated unit); specifically, a tribe (as those of Israel); hence (collectively) troops or attendants; figuratively, a flock:--folk, men, nation, people.]

e. and I [Strong: 595 * 'anokiy aw-no-kee' sometimes {aw-no'-kee}; a primitive pro.; I:--I, me, X which.]

f. not [Strong: 3808 * lo' lo or lowi {lo}; or loh (Deut. 3:11) {lo}; a primitive particle; not (the simple or abs. negation); by implication, no; often used with other particles (as follows):--X before, + or else, ere, + except, ig(-norant), much, less, nay, neither, never, no((-ne), -r, (-thing)), (X as though...,(can-), for) not (out of), of nought, otherwise, out of, + surely, + as truly as, + of a truth, + verily, for want, + whether, without.]

g. be you God [Strong: 1961 * hayah haw-yaw a primitive root (Compare 1933); to exist, i.e. be or become, come to pass (always emphatic, and not a mere copula or auxiliary):--beacon, X altogether, be(-come), accomplished, committed, like), break, cause, come (to pass), do, faint, fall, + follow, happen, X have, last, pertain, quit (one-)self, require, X use.

1). Because the very next verse points to a prophetic reversal of Hosea 1:8, that Israel was not His people, I must pause and think upon it. Because of Israel’s spiritual adultery, God divorced Israel.

a). Jeremiah 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

2). Yet God still considered Himself to be still married to Israel. When Jeremiah spoke these words it was over a hundred years after Israel had been conquered by Assyria.

a). Jeremiah 3:12-15 Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever.
3:13 Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD.
3:14 Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:
3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

b). It must be noted that the above verses are part of a greater passage that is entirely prophetic and will not be fulfilled until the return of Christ and the Millennial reign. It is interesting that God stated He divorced Israel and yet considered Himself to be married to them. In both the Old and New Covenants, marriage and divorce terminology is used to describe the Covenant God has with his people. In Romans 7:1-4 the Apostle Paul uses it to plead with Israel to come to Christ. See notes Hosea 1:10.


No comments: