Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Hosea 2:23

Hosea 2:23

And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God.

a. NLT: At that time I will plant a crop of Israelites and raise them for myself. I will show love to those I called ‘Not loved.’ And to those I called ‘Not my people,’ I will say, ‘Now you are my people.’ And they will reply, ‘You are our God!’”

b. NIV: I will plant her for myself in the land; I will show my love to the one I called ‘Not my loved one.’ I will say to those called ‘Not my people,’ ‘You are my people’; and they will say, ‘You are my God.’ ”

c. YLT: And I have sowed her to Me in the land, And I have pitied Lo-Ruhamah, And I have said to Lo-Ammi, My people thou art, and it saith, My God!'

d. Amplified Bible Classic: And I will sow her for Myself anew in the land, and I will have love, pity, and mercy for her who had not obtained love, pity, and mercy; and I will say to those who were not My people, You are My people, and they shall say, You are my God!

e. Septuagint: [In the Greek translation of Hosea, Hosea 2:23 in our Bibles is Hosea 2:25 in the Septuagint.] And I will sow her to me on the earth; and will love her that was not loved, and will say to that which was not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art the Lord my God.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: [Similar to the Septuagint, Hosea 2:23 in our Bibles is Hosea 2:25 in the Septuagint.] I will sow her for myself in the land, and I will pity Lo-ruhamah (Not Pitied), and I will say to Lo-ammi (Not My People), ‘You are Ammi (My People), ‘and he will say ‘[You are] my God.

1. “And I will sow her unto me in the earth…

a. And I will sow her [2232 * zera] [Strong: a primitive root; to sow; figuratively, to disseminate, plant, fructify:--bear, conceive seed, set with sow(-er), yield.]

b. unto me in the earth [776 * 'erets] [Strong: from an unused root probably meaning to be firm; the earth (at large, or partitively a land):--X common, country, earth, field, ground, land, X natins, way, + wilderness, world.]

2.  “…and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy…”

a. and I will have mercy [7355 * racham] [Strong: a primitive root; to fondle; by implication, to love, especially to compassionate:--have compassion (on, upon), love, (find, have, obtain, shew) mercy(-iful, on, upon), (have) pity, Ruhamah, X surely.]

b. upon her that had not obtained mercy [7355 * racham] [Strong: a primitive root; to fondle; by implication, to love, especially to compassionate:--have compassion (on, upon), love, (find, have, obtain, shew) mercy(-iful, on, upon), (have) pity, Ruhamah, X surely.]

c. [3818 * Lo' `Ammiy] [Strong: from 3808 and 5971 with pronominal suffix; not my people; Lo-Ammi, the symbolic name of a son of Hosea:--Lo-ammi.]

3. “…and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people…”

a. and I will say to [559 * 'amar] [Strong: a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

b. not my people [5971 * `am] [Strong: from 6004; a people (as a congregated unit); specifically, a tribe (as those of Israel); hence (collectively) troops or attendants; figuratively, a flock:--folk, men, nation, people.]

c. Thou art my people [5971 * `am] [Strong: from 6004; a people (as a congregated unit); specifically, a tribe (as those of Israel); hence (collectively) troops or attendants; figuratively, a flock:--folk, men, nation, people.]

1). The Apostle Paul quotes Hosea 2:23 in Romans 9:25, but he also quotes Hosea 1:10 in Romans 9:26. In these, Paul is including the Gentiles in the calling and showing of abundant mercy that was directed upon the Jews as upon the Gentiles also.

a). Romans 9:23-26   And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
9:25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
9:26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

4. “…and they shall say, Thou art my God.”

a. and they shall say [559 * 'amar] [Strong: a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

b. Thou art my God [430 * 'elohiym] [Strong: plural of 433; gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative:--angels, X exceeding, God (gods)(-dess, -ly), X (very) great, judges, X mighty.]



No comments: