Saturday, June 25, 2016

Hosea 2:5



Hosea 2:5

For their mother hath played the harlot: she that conceived them hath done shamefully: for she said, I will go after my lovers, that give me my bread and my water, my wool and my flax, mine oil and my drink.

a. NLT: Their mother is a shameless prostitute and became pregnant in a shameful way.
She said, ‘I’ll run after other lovers and sell myself to them for food and water,
for clothing of wool and linen, and for olive oil and drinks.’

b. NIV: Their mother has been unfaithful and has conceived them in disgrace. She said, ‘I will go after my lovers, who give me my food and my water, my wool and my linen, my olive oil and my drink.’

c. YLT: For gone a-whoring hath their mother, Acted shamefully hath their conceiver, For she hath said, I go after my lovers, Those giving my bread and my water, My wool and my flax, my oil and my drink.

d. Amplified Bible Classic: For their mother has played the harlot; she who conceived them has done shamefully, for she said, I will go after my lovers that give me my food and my water, my wool and my flax, my oil and my refreshing drinks.

e. Septuagint [Hosea 2:5 in Christian Bibles is Hosea 2:7 in the Septuagint : And their mother went a-whoring: she that bore them disgraced [them]: for she said, I will go after my lovers, that give me my bread and my water, and my garments, and my linen clothes, my oil and my necessaries.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings [Hosea 2:5 in Christian Bibles is Hosea 2:7 in Jewish Bibles]: For their mother has committed harlotry; she who conceived them has shamed herself, for she said, ‘ will go after my paramours, those who provide my bread and my water, my wool and my linen, my oil and my drink.’

1. “For their mother hath played the harlot…”

a. For [Strong: 3588 * kiy kee a primitive particle (the full form of the prepositional prefix) indicating causal relations of all kinds, antecedent or consequent; (by implication) very widely used as a relative conjunction or adverb (as below); often largely modified by other particles annexed:--and, + (forasmuch, inasmuch, where-)as, assured(-ly), + but, certainly, doubtless, + else, even, + except, for, how, (because, in, so, than) that, + nevertheless, now, rightly, seeing, since, surely, then, therefore, + (al- )though, + till, truly, + until, when, whether, while, whom, yea, yet.]

b. their mother [Strong: 517 * 'em ame a primitive word; a mother (as the bond of the family); in a wide sense (both literally and figuratively (like 1):--dam, mother, X parting.]

c. played the harlot [Strong: 2181 * zanah zaw-naw' a primitive root (highly-fed and therefore wanton); to commit adultery (usually of the female, and less often of simple fornication, rarely of involuntary ravishment); figuratively, to commit idolatry (the Jewish people being regarded as the spouse of Jehovah):--(cause to) commit fornication, X continually, X great, (be an, play the) harlot, (cause to be, play the) whore, (commit, fall to) whoredom, (cause to) go a-whoring, whorish.]

2. “…she that conceived them hath done shamefully…”

a. she that conceived them [Strong: 2029 * harah haw-raw' a primitive root; to be (or become) pregnant, conceive (literally or figuratively):--been, be with child, conceive, progenitor.]

b. hath done shamefully [Strong: yabesh yaw-bashe' a primitive root; to be ashamed, confused or disappointed; also (as failing) to dry up (as water) or wither (as herbage):--be ashamed, clean, be confounded, (make) dry (up), (do) shame(-fully), X utterly, wither (away).]

3. “…for she said, I will go after my lovers, that give me my bread and my water, my wool and my flax, mine oil and my drink.”

a. for [Strong: 3588 * kiy kee a primitive particle (the full form of the prepositional prefix) indicating causal relations of all kinds, antecedent or consequent; (by implication) very widely used as a relative conjunction or adverb (as below); often largely modified by other particles annexed:--and, + (forasmuch, inasmuch, where-)as, assured(-ly), + but, certainly, doubtless, + else, even, + except, for, how, (because, in, so, than) that, + nevertheless, now, rightly, seeing, since, surely, then, therefore, + (al- )though, + till, truly, + until, when, whether, while, whom, yea, yet.]

b. she said [Strong: 559 * 'amar aw-mar' a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

c. I will go [Strong: 3212 * yalak yaw-lak' a primitive root (Compare 1980); to walk (literally or figuratively); causatively, to carry (in various senses):--X again, away, bear, bring, carry (away), come (away), depart, flow, + follow(-ing), get (away, hence, him), (cause to, made) go (away, -ing, -ne, one's way, out), grow, lead (forth), let down, march, prosper, + pursue, cause to run, spread, take away ((-journey)), vanish, (cause to) walk(-ing), wax, X be weak.] [Some sources have ‘halak’ Strong # 1980]

d. after [Strong: 310 * 'achar akh-ar' from 309; properly, the hind part; generally used as an adverb or conjunction, after (in various senses):--after (that, -ward), again, at, away from, back (from, -side), behind, beside, by, follow (after, -ing), forasmuch, from, hereafter, hinder end, + out (over) live, + persecute, posterity, pursuing, remnant, seeing, since, thence(-forth), when, with.]

e. my lovers [Strong: 157 * 'achar akh-ar' from 309; properly, the hind part; generally used as an adverb or conjunction, after (in various senses):--after (that, -ward), again, at, away from, back (from, -side), behind, beside, by, follow (after, -ing), forasmuch, from, hereafter, hinder end, + out (over) live, + persecute, posterity, pursuing, remnant, seeing, since, thence(-forth), when, with.]

f. that give me [Strong: 5414 * nathan naw-than' a primitive root; to give, used with greatest latitude of application (put, make, etc.):--add, apply, appoint, ascribe, assign, X avenge, X be ((healed)), bestow, bring (forth, hither), cast, cause, charge, come, commit, consider, count, + cry, deliver (up), direct, distribute, do, X doubtless, X without fail, fasten, frame, X get, give (forth, over, up), grant, hang (up), X have, X indeed, lay (unto charge, up), (give) leave, lend, let (out), + lie, lift up, make, + O that, occupy, offer, ordain, pay, perform, place, pour, print, X pull , put (forth), recompense, render, requite, restore, send (out), set (forth), shew, shoot forth (up), + sing, + slander, strike, (sub-)mit, suffer, X surely, X take, thrust, trade, turn, utter, + weep, + willingly, + withdraw, + would (to) God, yield.]

g. my bread [Strong: 3899 * lechem lekh'-em from 3898; food (for man or beast), especially bread, or grain (for making it):--((shew-))bread, X eat, food, fruit, loaf, meat, victuals.]

h. and my water [Strong: 4325 * mayim mah'-yim dual of a primitive noun (but used in a singular sense); water; figuratively, juice; by euphemism, urine, semen:--+ piss, wasting, water(-ing, (-course, -flood, -spring)).]

i. my wool [Strong: 6785 * tsemer tseh'-mer from an unused root probably meaning to be shaggy; wool:--wool(-len).]

j. and my flax [Strong: 6593 * pishteh pish-teh' from the same as 6580 as in the sense of comminuting; linen (i.e. the thread, as carded):--flax, linen.]

k. mine oil [Strong: 8081 * shemen sheh'-men from 8080; grease, especially liquid (as from the olive, often perfumed); figuratively, richness:--anointing, X fat (things), X fruitful, oil((-ed)), ointment, olive, + pine.]

l. and my drink [Strong: 8250 * shiqquwy shik-koo'-ee from 8248; a beverage; moisture, i.e. (figuratively) refreshment:--drink, marrow.]

No comments: