Thursday, February 06, 2020

Job 42:6

Job 42:6

Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

a. ASV: Wherefore I abhor myself , And repent in dust and ashes.

b. YLT: Therefore do I loathe [it], And I have repented on dust and ashes.

c. Classic Amplified: Therefore I loathe [my words] and abhor myself and repent in dust and ashes.

d. Septuagint: Wherefore I have counted myself vile, and have fainted: and I esteem myself dust and ashes.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/ Writings: Therefore, I renounce [my words] and repent, for [I am but] dust and ashes.” 

1. “Wherefore I abhor myself…”

a. Wherefore [Strong: 5921 `al al properly, the same as 5920 used as a preposition (in the singular or plural often with prefix, or as conjunction with a particle following); above, over, upon, or against (yet always in this last relation with a downward aspect) in a great variety of applications (as follow):--above, according to(-ly), after, (as) against, among, and, X as, at, because of, beside (the rest of), between, beyond the time, X both and, by (reason of), X had the charge of, concerning for, in (that), (forth, out) of, (from) (off), (up-)on, over, than, through(-out), to, touching, X with.]

b. [I] abhor [myself] [Strong: 3988 ma'ac maw-as' a primitive root; to spurn; also (intransitively) to disappear:--abhor, cast away (off), contemn, despise, disdain, (become) loathe(some), melt away, refuse, reject, reprobate, X utterly, vile person.]

2. “...and repent in dust and ashes.”

a. [and] repent [Strong: 5162 nacham naw-kham' a primitive root; properly, to sigh, i.e. breathe strongly; by implication, to be sorry, i.e. (in a favorable sense) to pity, console or (reflexively) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself):--comfort (self), ease (one's self), repent(-er,-ing, self).]

b. in [Strong: 5921 `al al properly, the same as 5920 used as a preposition (in the singular or plural often with prefix, or as conjunction with a particle following); above, over, upon, or against (yet always in this last relation with a downward aspect) in a great variety of applications (as follow):--above, according to(-ly), after, (as) against, among, and, X as, at, because of, beside (the rest of), between, beyond the time, X both and, by (reason of), X had the charge of, concerning for, in (that), (forth, out) of, (from) (off), (up-)on, over, than, through(-out), to, touching, X with.]


c. dust [Strong: 6083 `aphar aw-fawr' from 6080; dust (as powdered or gray); hence, clay, earth, mud:--ashes, dust, earth, ground, morter, powder, rubbish.]

d. ashes [Strong: 665 'epher ay'-fer from an unused root meaning to bestrew; ashes:--ashes.]

No comments: