Saturday, February 22, 2020

Jonah 2:6

Jonah 2:6

I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

a. ASV: I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; The earth with its bars closed upon me for ever: Yet hast thou brought up my life from the pit, O Jehovah my God.

b. YLT: To the cuttings of mountains I have come down, The earth, her bars [are] behind me to the age. And Thou bringest up from the pit my life, O Jehovah my God.

c. Classic Amplified: I went down to the bottoms and the very roots of the mountains; the earth with its bars closed behind me forever. Yet You have brought up my life from the pit and corruption, O Lord my God.

d. Septuagint [Jonah 2:6 in our Bible is Jonah 2:7 in the Septuagint]: To the clefts of the mountains; I went down into the earth, whose bars are the everlasting barriers: yet, O Lord my God, let my ruined life be restored.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/ Writings [Jonah 2:6 in our Bible is Jonah 2:7 in the Jewish Bible]: I descended to the bases of the mountains; The earth, its bars [were closed] against me forever. 

1. “I went down to the bottoms of the mountains…”

a. [I went] down [Strong: 3381 yarad yaw-rad' a primitive root; to descend (literally, to go downwards; or conventionally to a lower region, as the shore, a boundary, the enemy, etc.; or figuratively, to fall); causatively, to bring down (in all the above applications); -X abundantly, bring down, carry down, cast down, (cause to) come(-ing) down, fall (down), get down, go(-ing) down(-ward), hang down, X indeed, let down, light (down), put down (off), (cause to, let) run down, sink, subdue, take down.]

b. [to the] bottoms [Strong: 7095 qetseb keh'-tseb from 7094; shape (as if cut out); base (as if there cut off):--bottom, size.] 

c. [of the] mountains [Strong: 2022 har har a shortened form of 2042; a mountain or range of hills (sometimes used figuratively):--hill (country), mount(-ain), X promotion.]

2. “...the earth with her bars was about me for ever…”

a. [the] earth [Strong: 776 'erets eh'-rets from an unused root probably meaning to be firm; the earth (at large, or partitively a land):--X common, country, earth, field, ground, land, X natins, way, + wilderness, world.]

b. [with its] bars [Strong: 1280 briyach ber-ee'-akh from 1272; a bolt:--bar, fugitive.]

1). This Hebrew word is translated “bars” 40 times out of 41 uses.

a). Job 17:16 They shall go down to the bars of the pit, when our rest together is in the dust.

2). There are prison cells in hell.

a). Isaiah 24:22 And they shall be gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit, and shall be shut up in the prison, and after many days shall they be visited.

b). I personally believe that Jonah went to hell.

c. [was] about me [Strong: 1157 b`ad beh-ad' from 5704 with prepositional prefix; in up to or over against; generally at, beside, among, behind, for, etc.:--about, at by (means of), for, over, through, up (-on), within.]

d. forever [Stron: 5769 `owlam o-lawm' or lolam {o-lawm'}; from 5956; properly, concealed, i.e. the vanishing point; generally, time out of mind (past or future), i.e. (practically) eternity; frequentatively, adverbial (especially with prepositional prefix) always:--alway(-s), ancient (time), any more, continuance, eternal, (for, (n-))ever(-lasting, -more, of old), lasting, long (time), (of) old (time), perpetual, at any time, (beginning of the) world (+ without end).]

3.  “...yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.”

a. [yet hast thou] brought up [Strong: 5927 `alah aw-law' a primitive root; to ascend, intransitively (be high) or actively (mount); used in a great variety of senses, primary and secondary, literal and figurative (as follow):--arise (up), (cause to) ascend up, at once, break (the day) (up), bring (up), (cause to) burn, carry up, cast up, + shew, climb (up), (cause to, make to) come (up), cut off, dawn, depart, exalt, excel, fall, fetch up, get up, (make to) go (away, up); grow (over) increase, lay, leap, levy, lift (self) up, light, (make) up, X mention, mount up, offer, make to pay, + perfect, prefer, put (on), raise, recover, restore, (make to) rise (up), scale, set (up), shoot forth (up), (begin to) spring (up), stir up, take away (up), work.]

b. [my] life [Strong: 2416 chay khah'-ee from 2421; alive; hence, raw (flesh); fresh (plant, water, year), strong; also (as noun, especially in the feminine singular and masculine plural) life (or living thing), whether literally or figuratively:--+ age, alive, appetite, (wild) beast, company, congregation, life(-time), live(-ly), living (creature, thing), maintenance, + merry, multitude, + (be) old, quick, raw, running, springing, troop.]

c. [from] corruption [Strong: 7845 shachath shakh'-ath from 7743; a pit (especially as a trap); figuratively, destruction:--corruption, destruction, ditch, grave, pit.]

d. [O] LORD [Strong: 3068 Yhovah yeh-ho-vaw' from 1961; (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God:--Jehovah, the Lord.]

e. [my] God [Strong: 430 'elohiym el-o-heem' plural of 433; gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative:--angels, X exceeding, God (gods)(-dess, -ly), X (very) great, judges, X mighty.]

No comments: