Saturday, February 22, 2020

Jonah 2:7

 Jonah 2:7

When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.

a. ASV: When my soul fainted within me, I remembered Jehovah; And my prayer came in unto thee, into thy holy temple.

b. YLT: In the feebleness within me of my soul Jehovah I have remembered, And come in unto Thee doth my prayer, Unto Thy holy temple.

c. Classic Amplified: When my soul fainted upon me [crushing me], I earnestly and seriously remembered the Lord; and my prayer came to You, into Your holy temple.

d. Septuagint [Jonah 2:7 in our Bible is Jonah 2:8 in the Septuagint]: When my soul was failing me, I remembered the Lord; and may my prayer come to thee into thy holy temple.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/ Writings [Jonah 2:7 in our Bible is Jonah 2:8 in the Jewish Bible]: When my soul was faint within me, I remembered HASHEM; My prayer came to You, to Your Holy temple.

1. “When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD…”

a. [When my] soul [Strong: 5315 nephesh neh'-fesh from 5314; properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):--any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, X dead(-ly), desire, X (dis-)contented, X fish, ghost, + greedy, he, heart(-y), (hath, X jeopardy of) life (X in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-)self, them (your)-selves, + slay, soul, + tablet, they, thing, (X she) will, X would have it.]

b. fainted [Strong: 5848 `ataph aw-taf' a primitive root; to shroud, i.e. clothe (whether transitive or reflex.); hence (from the idea of darkness) to languish:-- cover (over), fail, faint, feebler, hide self, be overwhelmed, swoon.]

c. within [me] [Strong: 5921 `al al properly, the same as 5920 used as a preposition (in the singular or plural often with prefix, or as conjunction with a particle following); above, over, upon, or against (yet always in this last relation with a downward aspect) in a great variety of applications (as follow):--above, according to(-ly), after, (as) against, among, and, X as, at, because of, beside (the rest of), between, beyond the time, X both and, by (reason of), X had the charge of, concerning for, in (that), (forth, out) of, (from) (off), (up-)on, over, than, through(-out), to, touching, X with.]

d. [Strong: 853 'eth ayth apparent contracted from 226 in the demonstrative sense of entity; properly, self (but generally used to point out more definitely the object of a verb or preposition, even or namely):--(as such unrepresented in English).]

e. [I] remembered [Strong: 2142 zakar zaw-kar' a primitive root; properly, to mark (so as to be recognized), i.e. to remember; by implication, to mention; also (as denominative from 2145) to be male:--X burn (incense), X earnestly, be male, (make) mention (of), be mindful, recount, record(-er), remember, make to be remembered, bring (call, come, keep, put) to (in) remembrance, X still, think on, X well.]

f. [the] LORD [Strong: 3069 Yhovih yeh-ho-vee' a variation of 3068 (used after 136, and pronounced by Jews as 430, in order to prevent the repetition of the same sound, since they elsewhere pronounce 3068 as 136):--God.]

2. “...and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.”

a. [and my] prayer [Strong: 8605 tphillah tef-il-law' from 6419; intercession, supplication; by implication, a hymn:--prayer.]

b. came [in] [Strong: 935 bow' bo a primitive root; to go or come (in a wide variety of applications):--abide, apply, attain, X be, befall, + besiege, bring (forth, in, into, to pass), call, carry, X certainly, (cause, let, thing for) to come (against, in, out, upon, to pass), depart, X doubtless again, + eat, + employ, (cause to) enter (in, into, -tering, -trance, -try), be fallen, fetch, + follow, get, give, go (down, in, to war), grant, + have, X indeed, (in-)vade, lead, lift (up), mention, pull in, put, resort, run (down), send, set, X (well) stricken (in age), X surely, take (in), way.]

c. unto [thee] [Strong: 413 'el ale (but only used in the shortened constructive form sel {el}); a primitive particle; properly, denoting motion towards, but occasionally used of a quiescent position, i.e. near, with or among; often in general, to:--about, according to ,after, against, among, as for, at, because(-fore, -side), both...and, by, concerning, for, from, X hath, in(- to), near, (out) of, over, through, to(-ward), under, unto, upon, whether, with(-in).]

d. into [Strong: 413 'el ale (but only used in the shortened constructive form sel {el}); a primitive particle; properly, denoting motion towards, but occasionally used of a quiescent position, i.e. near, with or among; often in general, to:--about, according to ,after, against, among, as for, at, because(-fore, -side), both...and, by, concerning, for, from, X hath, in(- to), near, (out) of, over, through, to(-ward), under, unto, upon, whether, with(-in).]

e. [thene] holy [Strong: 6944 qodesh ko'-desh from 6942; a sacred place or thing; rarely abstract, sanctity:--consecrated (thing), dedicated (thing), hallowed (thing), holiness, (X most) holy (X day, portion, thing), saint, sanctuary.]

f. temple [Strong: 1964 heykal hay-kawl' probably from 3201 (in the sense of capacity); a large public building, such as a palace or temple:--palace, temple.]

No comments: