Saturday, February 22, 2020

Jonah 2:4

Jonah 2:4

Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.

a. ASV: And I said, I am cast out from before thine eyes; Yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.

b. YLT: And I — I said: I have been cast out from before Thine eyes, (Yet I add to look unto Thy holy temple!)

c. Classic Amplified: Then I said, I have been cast out of Your presence and Your sight; yet I will look again toward Your holy temple.

d. Septuagint [Jonah 2:4 in our Bible is Jonah 2:5 in the Septuagint]: And I said, I am cast out of thy presence: shall I indeed look again toward thy holy temple?

e. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/ Writings [Jonah 2 :4 in our Bible is Jonah 2:5 in the Jewish Bible]: Then I said [to myself]. “I was driven from before Your eyes, but I will again gaze at Your holy Temple!” 

1. “Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight…”

a. [Then] I [Strong: 589 'aniy an-ee' contracted from 595; I:--I, (as for) me, mine, myself, we, X which, X who.]

b. said [Strong: 559 'amar aw-mar' a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.] 

c. [I have been] cast out [Strong: 1644 garash gaw-rash' a primitive root; to drive out from a possession; especially to expatriate or divorce:--cast up (out), divorced (woman), drive away (forth, out), expel, X surely put away, trouble, thrust out.]

d. of [Strong: 5048 neged neh'-ghed from 5046; a front, i.e. part opposite; specifically a counterpart, or mate; usually (adverbial, especially with preposition) over against or before:--about, (over) against, X aloof, X far (off), X from, over, presence, X other side, sight, X to view.]

e. [your] sight [Strong: 5869 `ayin ah'-yin probably a primitive word; an eye (literally or figuratively); by analogy, a fountain (as the eye of the landscape):--affliction, outward appearance, + before, + think best, colour, conceit, + be content, countenance, + displease, eye((-brow), (-d), -sight), face, + favour, fountain, furrow (from the margin), X him, + humble, knowledge, look, (+ well), X me, open(-ly), + (not) please, presence, + regard, resemblance, sight, X thee, X them, + think, X us, well, X you(-rselves).]

2. “...yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.”

a. yet [Strong: 389 'ak ak akin to 403; a particle of affirmation, surely; hence (by limitation) only:--also, in any wise, at least, but, certainly, even, howbeit, nevertheless, notwithstanding, only, save, surely, of a surety, truly, verily, + wherefore, yet (but).]

b. [I will] look [Strong: 5027 nabat naw-bat' a primitive root; to scan, i.e. look intently at; by implication, to regard with pleasure, favor or care:--(cause to) behold, consider, look (down), regard, have respect, see.]

c. again [Strong: 3254 yacaph yaw-saf' a primitive root; to add or augment (often adverbial, to continue to do a thing):--add, X again, X any more, X cease, X come more, + conceive again, continue, exceed, X further, X gather together, get more, give more-over, X henceforth, increase (more and more), join, X longer (bring, do, make, much, put), X (the, much, yet) more (and more), proceed (further), prolong, put, be (strong-) er, X yet, yield.]

d. toward [Strong: 413 'el ale (but only used in the shortened constructive form sel {el}); a primitive particle; properly, denoting motion towards, but occasionally used of a quiescent position, i.e. near, with or among; often in general, to:--about, according to ,after, against, among, as for, at, because(-fore, -side), both...and, by, concerning, for, from, X hath, in(- to), near, (out) of, over, through, to(-ward), under, unto, upon, whether, with(-in).]

e. [thy] holy [Strong: 6944 qodesh ko'-desh from 6942; a sacred place or thing; rarely abstract, sanctity:--consecrated (thing), dedicated (thing), hallowed (thing), holiness, (X most) holy (X day, portion, thing), saint, sanctuary.]

f. temple [Strong: 1964 heykal hay-kawl' probably from 3201 (in the sense of capacity); a large public building, such as a palace or temple:--palace, temple.]

1). Even though still in the situation, Jonah knew that he would one day see God’s holy Temple. Faith.

a). 2 Corinthians 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak.

No comments: