Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Genesis 27:4

 Genesis 27:4

And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.


a. ASV: And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.  [Thomas Nelson & Sons first published the American Standard Version in 1901. This translation of the Bible is in the public domain.]


b. YLT: And make for me tasteful things, such as I have loved, and bring in to me, and I do eat, so that my soul doth bless thee before I die.'  [The Young's Literal Translation was translated by Robert Young, who believed in a strictly literal translation of God's word. This version of the Bible is in the public domain.]


c. Classic Amplified: And prepare me appetizing meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat of it, [preparatory] to giving you my blessing [as my firstborn] before I die.  [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]


d. Stone Edition THE CHUMASH, Rabbinic Commentary:  Then make me delicacies as I love and bring it to me and i will eat, so that my soul may bless you before I die.”  [The Artscroll Series/Stone Edition, THE CHUMASH Copyright 1998, 2000 by MESORAH PUBLICATIONS, Ldt.]


e. Torah, Judaism and Jewish information on the web: www.chabad.org; Online English Translation of the Tanakh (Jewish Bible): And make for me tasty foods as I like, and bring them to me, and I will eat, in order that my soul will bless you before I die."   [English Translation, Ⓒ Copyright The Judaica Press All rights reserved.]


1. “And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me…”


a. [And] make [Strong: 6213 `asah aw-saw' a primitive root; to do or make, in the broadest sense and widest application (as follows):--accomplish, advance, appoint, apt, be at, become, bear, bestow, bring forth, bruise, be busy, X certainly, have the charge of, commit, deal (with), deck, + displease, do, (ready) dress(-ed), (put in) execute(-ion), exercise, fashion, + feast, (fight-)ing man, + finish, fit, fly, follow, fulfill, furnish, gather, get, go about, govern, grant, great, + hinder, hold ((a feast)), X indeed, + be industrious, + journey, keep, labour, maintain, make, be meet, observe, be occupied, offer, + officer, pare, bring (come) to pass, perform, pracise, prepare, procure, provide, put, requite, X sacrifice, serve, set, shew, X sin, spend, X surely, take, X thoroughly, trim, X very, + vex, be (warr-)ior, work(-man), yield, use.]


b. me [Strong: 589 'aniy an-ee' contracted from 595; I:--I, (as for) me, mine, myself, we, X which, X who.]


c. savory meat [Strong: 4303 mat`am mat-am' or (feminine) matiammah {mat-am-maw'}; from 2938; a delicacy:--dainty (meat), savoury meat.]


d. such as [Strong: 834 'aher ash-er' a primitive relative pronoun (of every gender and number); who, which, what, that; also (as an adverb and a conjunction) when, where, how, because, in order that, etc.:--X after, X alike, as (soon as), because, X every, for, + forasmuch, + from whence, + how(-soever), X if, (so) that ((thing) which, wherein), X though, + until, + whatsoever, when, where (+ -as, -in, -of, -on, -soever, -with), which, whilst, + whither(- soever), who(-m, -soever, -se). As it is indeclinable, it is often accompanied by the personal pronoun expletively, used to show the connection.]


e. I love [Strong: 157 'ahab aw-hab' or raheb {aw-habe'}; a primitive root; to have affection for (sexually or otherwise):--(be-)love(-d, -ly, -r), like, friend.]


f. [and] bring [it to me] [Strong: 935 bow' bo a primitive root; to go or come (in a wide variety of applications):--abide, apply, attain, X be, befall, + besiege, bring (forth, in, into, to pass), call, carry, X certainly, (cause, let, thing for) to come (against, in, out, upon, to pass), depart, X doubtless again, + eat, + employ, (cause to) enter (in, into, -tering, -trance, -try), be fallen, fetch, + follow, get, give, go (down, in, to war), grant, + have, X indeed, (in-)vade, lead, lift (up), mention, pull in, put, resort, run (down), send, set, X (well) stricken (in age), X surely, take (in), way.]


2. “...that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.”


a. [that I may] eat [Strong: 398 'akal aw-kal' a primitive root; to eat (literally or figuratively):--X at all, burn up, consume, devour(-er, up), dine, eat(-er, up), feed (with), food, X freely, X in...wise(-deed, plenty), (lay) meat, X quite.]


b. that [Strong: 5668 `abuwr aw-boor' or rabur {aw-boor'}; passive participle of 5674; properly, crossed, i.e. (abstractly) transit; used only adverbially, on account of, in order that:--because of, for (...'s sake), (intent) that, to.]


c. [my[ soul [Strong: 5315 nephesh neh'-fesh from 5314; properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):--any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, X dead(-ly), desire, X (dis-)contented, X fish, ghost, + greedy, he, heart(-y), (hath, X jeopardy of) life (X in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-)self, them (your)-selves, + slay, soul, + tablet, they, thing, (X she) will, X would have it.]


d. [may] bless [thee] [Strong: 1288 barak baw-rak' a primitive root; to kneel; by implication to bless God (as an act of adoration), and (vice-versa) man (as a benefit); also (by euphemism) to curse (God or the king, as treason):--X abundantly, X altogether, X at all, blaspheme, bless, congratulate, curse, X greatly, X indeed, kneel (down), praise, salute, X still, thank.]


e. before [Strong: 2962 terem teh'-rem from an unused root apparently meaning to interrupt or suspend; properly, non-occurrence; used adverbially, not yet or before:--before, ere, not yet.]


f. [I] die [Strong: 4191 muwth mooth a primitive root: to die (literally or figuratively); causatively, to kill:--X at all, X crying, (be) dead (body, man, one), (put to, worthy of) death, destroy(-er), (cause to, be like to, must) die, kill, necro(-mancer), X must needs, slay, X surely, X very suddenly, X in (no) wise.]


1). Isaac thought his death was soon. He wanted to make sure he would bless his eldest son before death. Isaac lived 43 more years (Genesis 35:28).


2). What must be noted here is that the Lord God had already stated to Rebekah that the elder would serve the younger. God’s choice was that the family and messianic blessing would be put on Jacob. Isaac surely knew this and yet he was determined to bless Esau.   


3). Henry M. Morris, The Genesis record: The twins in her womb were of two utterly different and antagonistic temperaments. The nations which they would establish would inherit these tendencies. The struggle which had begun in her womb would continue throughout their lives and throughout the histories of their respective nations. Which, then, would prevail? The Lord was most specific in His reply: “The elder shall serve the younger.” The younger son would become stronger than the older, and would finally prevail. Since one of the two must carry on the Messianic line and must inherit the promises of the Abrahamic Covenant, it is crystal clear that God here told Rebekah that His covenant would be with the younger son, not the older. The younger must therefore receive the father’s inheritance and blessing, as Isaac had from Abraham. 


2). Don Costello: Frankly, after studying these chapters out concerning Jacob and Esau, it is no surprise that Jacob was preferred above Esau. In answer to her prayer of what was going on in her womb. [Genesis 25:23  “And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.”] The LORD, who knows the beginning and the end, looked forward through the next 7 decades of the twin’s lives, and saw how each would respond to the graces given each, and chose Jacob over Esau. Earlier in their lives it was observed that Esau thought little of spiritual things. He despised his birthright. The Classic Amplified says: “Esau scorned his birthright as beneath his notice.”(Genesis 25:34). While in his forties Esau married two Canaanite women which were a grief of mind to his parents (Genesis 26). After Jacob left to go to Padam-aram to find a wife because Isaac and Rebekah disapproved of Canaanites for wives, Esau purposely went and sought another wife from the Canaanites (Genesis 28:8, 9). These spiritual rebellious choices throughout Esau’s life, being known to God in His Omniscience, he realized that desiring and allowing Esau to be the Messianic line would only end in disaster. Later commentary from the writer of Hebrews adds perfect reasonability to Jacob as God’s choice. Hebrews 12:15-17  “Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; 12:16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. 12:17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.” Esau’s life was failure after failure of the grace of God.


3). Romans 9:10-12 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

 

4). Finis Jennings Dake: The family of Esau or Edom seemed to be stronger at first than Jacob’s (or israel’s), for they had dukes and kings long before Israel did (Genesis 36). And they were powerful enough to resist israel’s passage through their land when coming out of Egypt (Numbers 20). Later, David completely defeated them and made them subject to Israel for about 150 years (2 Samuel 8:14). After the Babylonian captivity, the Maccabees compelled them to leave their country or embrace the Jewish faith. From then on they were ruled by Israel. In the Millennium they will be under Israel (Psalm 60:8-10;Isaiah 11:14; Isaiah 63:1; Amos 9:12).


No comments: