Friday, October 30, 2015

Colossians 2:14

Colossians 2:14

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

a. NLT: He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross.

b. NIV: having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.

c. YLT: having blotted out the handwriting in the ordinances that is against us, that was contrary to us, and he hath taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross;

d. Amplified Bible:  having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of legal demands [which were in force] against us and which were hostile to us. And this certificate He has set aside and completely removed by nailing it to the cross.

e. Worrell Translation: having blotted out the hand-writing in decrees against us, which was contrary to us, and he has taken it out of the midst, nailing it to the cross;

1. “Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us…”

a. blotting out [1813 * exaleipho] [Strong: from 1537 and 218; to smear out, i.e. obliterate (erase tears, figuratively, pardon sin):--blot out, wipe away.]

b. the handwriting [5498 * cheirographon] [Strong: neuter of a compound of 5495 and 1125; something hand-written ("chirograph"), i.e. a manuscript (specially, a legal document or bond (figuratively)):--handwriting.]

c. of ordinances [1378 * dogma] [Strong: from the base of 1380; a law (civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical):--decree, ordinance.]

d. that was against [2596 * kata] [Strong: a primary particle; (prepositionally) down (in place or time), in varied relations (according to the case (genitive, dative or accusative) with which it is joined):--about, according as (to), after, against, (when they were) X alone, among, and, X apart, (even, like) as (concerning, pertaining to touching), X aside, at, before, beyond, by, to the charge of, (charita-)bly, concerning, + covered, (dai-)ly, down, every, (+ far more) exceeding, X more excellent, for, from ... to, godly, in(-asmuch, divers, every, -to, respect of), ... by, after the manner of, + by any means, beyond (out of) measure, X mightily, more, X natural, of (up-)on (X part), out (of every), over against, (+ your) X own, + particularly, so, through(-oughout, -oughout every), thus, (un-)to(-gether, -ward), X uttermost, where(-by), with. In composition it retains many of these applications, and frequently denotes opposition, distribution, or intensity.]

e. us [2257 * hemon] [Strong: genitive case plural of 1473; of (or from) us:--our (company), us, we.]

1). The Mosaic Law.

2. “…which was contrary to us…”

a. which [3739 * hos including feminine he, and neuter ho] [Strong: probably a primary word (or perhaps a form of the article 3588); the relatively (sometimes demonstrative) pronoun, who, which, what, that:--one, (an-, the) other, some, that, what, which, who(-m, -se), etc.]

b. was [2258 * en] [Strong: imperfect of 1510; I (thou, etc.) was (wast or were):--+ agree, be, X have (+ charge of), hold, use, was(-t), were.]

c. contrary [5227 * hupenantios] [Strong: from 5259 and 1727; under (covertly) contrary to, i.e. opposed or (as noun) an opponent:--adversary, against.]

d. to us [2254 * hemin] [Strong: dative case plural of 1473; to (or for, with, by) us:--our, (for) us, we.]

1). The law of sin and death lodged in our human nature since the fall made keeping the law impossible. What the law of God commanded us to do was contrary to our nature.

a). Romans 7:14-24 [Amplified Bible] We know that the Law is spiritual, but I am a creature of the flesh [worldly, self-reliant—carnal and unspiritual], sold into slavery to sin [and serving under its control]. 
7:15 For I do not understand my own actions [I am baffled and bewildered by them]. I do not practice what I want to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate [and yielding to my human nature, my worldliness—my sinful capacity]. 
7:16 Now if I habitually do what I do not want to do, [that means] I agree with the Law, confessing that it is good (morally excellent). 
7:17 So now [if that is the case, then] it is no longer I who do it [the disobedient thing which I despise], but the sin [nature] which lives in me. 
7:18 For I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh [my human nature, my worldliness—my sinful capacity]. For the willingness [to do good] is present in me, but the doing of good is not. 
7:19 For the good that I want to do, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. 
7:20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not want to do, I am no longer the one doing it [that is, it is not me that acts], but the sin [nature] which lives in me.
7:21 So I find it to be the law [of my inner self], that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 
7:22 For I joyfully delight in the law of God in my inner self [with my new nature], 
7:23 but I see a different law and rule of action in the members of my body [in its appetites and desires], waging war against the law of my mind and subduing me and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is within my members. 
7:24 Wretched and miserable man that I am! Who will [rescue me and] set me free from this body of death [this corrupt, mortal existence]?

3. “…and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;”

a. and [2532 * kai] [Strong: apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]

b. took [142 * airo] [Strong: a primary root; to lift up; by implication, to take up or away; figuratively, to raise (the voice), keep in suspense (the mind), specially, to sail away (i.e. weigh anchor); by Hebraism (compare 5375) to expiate sin:--away with, bear (up), carry, lift up, loose, make to doubt, put away, remove, take (away, up).]

c. it [846 * autos] [Strong: from the particle au (perhaps akin to the base of 109 through the idea of a baffling wind) (backward); the reflexive pronoun self, used (alone or in the comparative 1438) of the third person , and (with the proper personal pronoun) of the other persons:--her, it(-self), one, the other, (mine) own, said, (self-), the) same, ((him-, my-, thy- )self, (your-)selves, she, that, their(-s), them(-selves), there(-at, - by, -in, -into, -of, -on, -with), they, (these) things, this (man), those, together, very, which.]

d. out of [1537 * ek or ex] [Strong: a primary preposition denoting origin (the point whence action or motion proceeds), from, out (of place, time, or cause; literal or figurative; direct or remote):--after, among, X are, at, betwixt(-yond), by (the means of), exceedingly, (+ abundantly above), for(- th), from (among, forth, up), + grudgingly, + heartily, X heavenly, X hereby, + very highly, in, ...ly, (because, by reason) of, off (from), on, out among (from, of), over, since, X thenceforth, through, X unto, X vehemently, with(-out). Often used in composition, with the same general import; often of completion.]

e. the way [3319 * mesos] [Strong: from 3326; middle (as an adjective or (neuter) noun):--among, X before them, between, + forth, mid(-day, -night), midst, way.]

f. nailing [4338 * proseloo] [Strong: from 4314 and a derivative of 2247; to peg to, i.e. spike fast:--nail to.]

g. it [846 * autos] See “it” above.

h. to his cross [4716 * stauros] [Strong: from the base of 2476; a stake or post (as set upright), i.e. (specially), a pole or cross (as an instrument of capital punishment); figuratively, exposure to death, i.e. self-denial; by implication, the atonement of Christ:--cross.]


No comments: