Thursday, August 22, 2019

Psalm 22:18

Psalm 22:18

They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

a. ASV: They part my garments among them, And upon my vesture do they cast lots.

b. YLT: They apportion my garments to themselves, And for my clothing they cause a lot to fall.

c. Amplified Bible Classic: They part my clothing among them and cast lots for my raiment (a long, shirtlike garment, a seamless undertunic). )

d. Septuagint [Psalm 22:18 in our Bible is Psalm 21:19 in the Septuagint]: They parted my garments [among] themselves, and cast lots upon my raiment.

e. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings [Psalm 22:18 in our Bible is Psalm 22:19 in the Jewish Bible]: They divide my garments among themselves, and cast lots for my clothing. 

1. “They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.”

a. [They] part [Strong: 2505 châlaq, khaw-lak'; a primitive root; to be smooth (figuratively); by implication (as smooth stones were used for lots) to apportion or separate:—deal, distribute, divide, flatter, give, (have, im-) part(-ner), take away a portion, receive, separate self, (be) smooth(-er).]

b. [my] garments [Strong: 899 beged, behg'-ed; from H898; a covering, i.e. clothing; also treachery or pillage:—apparel, cloth(-es, ing), garment, lap, rag, raiment, robe, × very (treacherously), vesture, wardrobe.]

c. [among] them [Strong: 1992 hem haym or (prolonged) hemmah {haym'-maw}; masculine plural from 1981; they (only used when emphatic):--it, like, X (how, so) many (soever, more as) they (be), (the) same, X so, X such, their, them, these, they, those, which, who, whom, withal, ye.]

d. [and] cast [Strong: 5307 nâphal, naw-fal'; a primitive root; to fall, in a great variety of applications (intransitive or causative, literal or figurative):—be accepted, cast (down, self, (lots), out), cease, die, divide (by lot), (let) fail, (cause to, let, make, ready to) fall (away, down, -en, -ing), fell(-ing), fugitive, have (inheritance), inferior, be judged (by mistake for 6419), lay (along), (cause to) lie down, light (down), be (× hast) lost, lying, overthrow, overwhelm, perish, present(-ed, -ing), (make to) rot, slay, smite out, ×surely, throw down.]

e. lots [Strong: 1486 gôwrâl, go-rawl'; or (shortened) גֹּרָל gôrâl; from an unused root meaning to be rough (as stone); properly, a pebble, i.e. a lot (small stones being used for that purpose); figuratively, a portion or destiny (as if determined by lot):—lot.]

f. upon [Strong: 5921 `al al properly, the same as 5920 used as a preposition (in the singular or plural often with prefix, or as conjunction with a particle following); above, over, upon, or against (yet always in this last relation with a downward aspect) in a great variety of applications (as follow):--above, according to(-ly), after, (as) against, among, and, X as, at, because of, beside (the rest of), between, beyond the time, X both and, by (reason of), X had the charge of, concerning for, in (that), (forth, out) of, (from) (off), (up-)on, over, than, through(-out), to, touching, X with.]

g. [my] vesture [Strong: 3830 lᵉbûwsh, leb-oosh'; or לְבֻשׁ lᵉbush; from H3847; a garment (literally or figuratively); by implication (euphemistically) a wife:—apparel, clothed with, clothing, garment, raiment, vestment, vesture.]

1). Prophecy of the crucifixion of Christ.

a). Matthew 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

2). There are five verses of Psalm 22 that are quoted in the New Testament. This has led some to believe that when Christ was on the cross he quoted the whole of Psalm 22 which dealt with his crucifixion.

a). Psalm 22:1 My God, my God,, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

(1) Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

(2) Mark 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

b). Psalm 22:8 He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

(1) Matthew 27:43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.

(2) Luke 23:35 And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided him, saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God.

c). Psalm 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

(1) John 19:37 And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.

d). Psalm 22:18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

(1) Matthew 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

(2) Mark 15:24 And when they had crucified him, they parted his garments, casting lots upon them, what every man should take.

(3) Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

(4) John 19:24 They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.


e). Psalm 22:22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

(1) Hebrews 2:12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.

No comments: