Sunday, March 08, 2015

Isaiah 50:4

Isaiah 50:4

The LORD God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.

a. NLT: The Sovereign LORD has given me his words of wisdom, so that I know how to comfort the weary. Morning by morning he wakens me and opens my understanding to his will.

b. NIV: The Sovereign LORD has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.

c. YLT: The Lord Jehovah hath given to me The tongue of taught ones, To know to aid the weary by a word, He waketh morning by morning, He waketh for me an ear to hear as taught ones.

d. Amplified Bible:  [The Servant of God says] The Lord God has given Me the tongue of a disciple and of one who is taught, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him who is weary. He wakens Me morning by morning, He wakens My ear to hear as a disciple [as one who is taught].

e. Septuagint: The Lord [even] God gives me the tongue of instruction, to know when it is fit to speak a word: he has appointed for me early, he has given me an ear to hear:

f. Stone Edition Torah/Writings/Prophets: My Lord HASHEM/ELOHIM, has granted me a tongue for teaching, to understand the need of the times in conveying matters to those who thirst [for knowledge]; He arouses [me] morning after morning; He arouses [my] ear for me to understand as disciples are taught.

1. “The LORD God hath given me the tongue of the learned…”

a. The LORD [136 * ‘Adonay] [Strong: am emphatic form of 113; the Lord (used as a proper name of God only):--(my) Lord.]

b. GOD [3069 * Yhovih] [Strong: a variation of 3068 (used after 136, and pronounced by Jews as 430, in order to prevent the repetition of the same sound, since they elsewhere pronounce 3068 as 136):--God.]

c. hath given me [5414 * Nathan] [Strong: a primitive root; to give, used with greatest latitude of application (put, make, etc.):--add, apply, appoint, ascribe, assign, X avenge, X be ((healed)), bestow, bring (forth, hither), cast, cause, charge, come, commit, consider, count, + cry, deliver (up), direct, distribute, do, X doubtless, X without fail, fasten, frame, X get, give (forth, over, up), grant, hang (up), X have, X indeed, lay (unto charge, up), (give) leave, lend, let (out), + lie, lift up, make, + O that, occupy, offer, ordain, pay, perform, place, pour, print, X pull , put (forth), recompense, render, requite, restore, send (out), set (forth), shew, shoot forth (up), + sing, + slander, strike, (sub-)mit, suffer, X surely, X take, thrust, trade, turn, utter, + weep, + willingly, + withdraw, + would (to) God, yield.]

1). Albert Barnes Commentary: It will be assumed that the reference is to the Messiah; and we shall find that it is a most beautiful description of his character, and of some of the principal events of his life. This verse is designed to state how he was suited for the special work to which he was called. The whole endowment is traced to Yahweh. It was he who had called him; he who had given him the tongue of the learned, and he who had carefully and attentively qualified him for his work.

d. the tongue [3956 * lashown] [Strong: from 3960; the tongue (of man or animals), used literally (as the instrument of licking, eating, or speech), and figuratively (speech, an ingot, a fork of flame, a cove of water):--+ babbler,bay, + evil speaker, language, talker, tongue, wedge.]

e. of the learned [3928 * limmuwd] [Strong: from 3925; instructed: -accustomed, disciple, learned, taught, used.]

2. “…that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary…”

a. that I should know [3045 * yada’] [Strong: a primitive root; to know (properly, to ascertain by seeing); used in a great variety of senses, figuratively, literally, euphemistically and inferentially (including observation, care, recognition; and causatively, instruction, designation, punishment, etc.) (as follow):--acknowledge, acquaintance(-ted with), advise, answer, appoint, assuredly, be aware, (un-)awares, can(-not), certainly, comprehend, consider, X could they, cunning, declare, be diligent, (can, cause to) discern, discover, endued with, familiar friend, famous, feel, can have, be (ig-)norant, instruct, kinsfolk, kinsman, (cause to let, make) know, (come to give, have, take) knowledge, have (knowledge), (be, make, make to be, make self) known, + be learned, + lie by man, mark, perceive, privy to, X prognosticator, regard, have respect, skilful, shew, can (man of) skill, be sure, of a surety, teach, (can) tell, understand, have (understanding), X will be, wist, wit, wot.]

b. how to speak [5790 * ‘uwth] [Strong: for 5789; to hasten, i.e. succor:--speak in season.] [Gensenius: to hasten to, help, succor, meaning dubious.]

c. a word [1697 * dabar] [Strong: from 1696; a word; by implication, a matter (as spoken of) or thing; adverbially, a cause:--act, advice, affair, answer, X any such (thing), because of, book, business, care, case, cause, certain rate, + chronicles, commandment, X commune(-ication), + concern(-ing), + confer, counsel, + dearth, decree, deed, X disease, due, duty, effect, + eloquent, errand, (evil favoured-)ness, + glory, + harm, hurt, + iniquity, + judgment, language, + lying, manner, matter, message, (no) thing, oracle, X ought, X parts, + pertaining, + please, portion, + power, promise, provision, purpose, question, rate, reason, report, request, X (as hast) said, sake, saying, sentence, + sign, + so, some (uncleanness), somewhat to say, + song, speech, X spoken, talk, task, + that, X there done, thing (concerning), thought, + thus, tidings, what(-soever), + wherewith, which, word, work.]

d. in season to him that is weary [3287 * ya’ph] [Strong: from 3286; fatigued; figuratively, exhausted:--faint, weary.] [Gesenius: faint, weary, fatigued.]

1). Jesus only spoke what his Father told him to speak.

a). John 7:16  Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me

b). John 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

c). John 12:49, 50 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
12:50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

2). This was accomplished through the Holy Ghost.

a). Psalm 119:97-102  O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
119:98 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
119:99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
119:100 I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.
119:101 I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.
119:102 I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.

3. “…he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.”

a. he wakeneth [5782 * ‘uwr] [Strong: a primitive root (rather identical with 5783 through the idea of opening the eyes); to wake (literally or figuratively):--(a- )wake(-n, up), lift up (self), X master, raise (up), stir up (self).]

b. morning [1242 * bo’ker] [Strong: from 1239; properly, dawn (as the break of day); generally, morning:--(+) day, early, morning, morrow.]

c. by morning [1242 * bo’ker] See “morning” above.

d. he wakeneth [5782 * ‘uwr] See “he wakeneth” above.

e. mine ear [241 * ‘ozen] [Strong: from 238; broadness. i.e. (concrete) the ear (from its form in man):--+ advertise, audience, + displease, ear, hearing, + show.]

f. to hear [8085 * shama’] [Strong: a primitive root; to hear intelligently (often with implication of attention, obedience, etc.; causatively, to tell, etc.):--X attentively, call (gather) together, X carefully, X certainly, consent, consider, be content, declare, X diligently, discern, give ear, (cause to, let, make to) hear(-ken, tell), X indeed, listen, make (a) noise, (be) obedient, obey, perceive, (make a) proclaim(-ation), publish, regard, report, shew (forth), (make a) sound, X surely, tell, understand, whosoever (heareth), witness.]

g. as the learned [3928 * limmuwd] [Strong: from 3925; instructed: -accustomed, disciple, learned, taught, used.]

1). Institute Of Creation Research Daily Devotional 5/15/2010 The prophetic words of our text were spoken by the Lord Jesus in the context of His suffering: "I gave my back to the smiters . . . I hid not my face from shame and spitting" (v. 6)--and His attentiveness to the will of His Father despite the suffering--"The Lord GOD hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back" (v. 5). The amazing love of Christ is seen in the fact that, in the midst of His intense personal pain, He could still continue, even on the cross, "to speak a word in season to him that is weary," as He comforted His mother, spoke salvation to the dying thief, and even sought forgiveness for His executioners. In all this, He was "leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps" (1 Peter 2:21). How easy and natural it is to complain and rebel when we are suffering. We seek comfort and counsel from others, when we (like our Exemplar) should be comforting others with "the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God" (2 Corinthians 1:4). Though we cannot comprehend it fully, we must simply believe the mystery of the incarnation. God became man in Jesus Christ, and the omnipotent One "learned . . . obedience" (Hebrews 5:8). He was omniscient, yet somehow He "increased in wisdom" (Luke 2:52), as well as stature, and as He studied God's Word, wakening "morning by morning," He learned to hear the voice of the Father, thus receiving "the tongue of the learned," that "gracious words" might proceed out of His mouth (Luke 4:22). May the Lord grant each of His younger sons and daughters this gracious "tongue of the learned," as we, like His Firstborn, awaken each morning to hear His voice. HMM



No comments: