Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Luke 1:43

Luke 1:43

.

And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?


a. NLT: Why am I so honored, that the mother of my Lord should visit me? [Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.]


b. NIV: But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? [THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by Permission of Biblica, Inc.® All rights reserved worldwide.]


c. Amplified Bible: And how [have I deserved that this honor should] be granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? [Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation]


d. Worrell Translation: And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? [Copyright 1904 by A.S. Worrell. Copyright assigned to the Assemblies of God, Springfield, MO. This edition was published 1980 by the Gospel Publishing House, Springfield, MO 65802. Printed in the U.S.A.]


1. “And whence is this to me…”


a. And [[Strong: 2532. kai kahee; apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.]


b. whence [Strong: 4159. pothen poth'-en; from the base of 4213 with enclitic adverb of origin; from which (as interrogative) or what (as relative) place, state, source or cause:--whence.]


c. [is] this [Strong: 5124. touto too'-to; neuter singular nominative or accusative case of 3778; that thing:--here (-unto), it, partly, self(-same), so, that (intent), the same, there(-fore, -unto), this, thus, where(-fore).]


d. to me [Strong: 3427. moi moy; the simpler form of 1698; to me:--I, me, mine, my.


2. “…that the mother of my Lord should come to me?”


a. that [Strong: 2443. hina hin'-ah probably from the same as the former part of 1438 (through the demonstrative idea; compare 3588); in order that (denoting the purpose or the result):--albeit, because, to the intent (that), lest, so as, (so) that, (for) to.]


b. the [Strong: 3588. [hē] ὁ ho ho, including the feminine he hay, and the neuter to to in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom):--the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.] [Thayer: [hē] ὁ, ἡ, τό, originally τος, τῇ, τό (as is evident from the forms τοι, ται for οἱ, αἱ in Homer and the Ionic writings), corresponds to our definite article the (German der, die, das), which is properly a demonstrative pronoun, which we see in its full force in Homer, and of which we find certain indubitable traces also in all kinds of Greek prose, and hence also in the N. T.] [Additional variants: tē, hoi, oi, tēn, ta, tēs, tois, tais, tō, tōn, tou, hé  hē, hai, tas.]


c. mother [Strong: 3384. meter may'-tare apparently a primary word; a "mother" (literally or figuratively, immediate or remote):--mother.] 


c. [of] my [Strong: 3450. mou moo; the simpler form of 1700; of me:--I, me, mine (own), my.]


d. [Strong: 3588. [tou] ὁ ho ho, including the feminine he hay, and the neuter to to in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom):--the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.] [Thayer: [tou] ὁ, ἡ, τό, originally τος, τῇ, τό (as is evident from the forms τοι, ται for οἱ, αἱ in Homer and the Ionic writings), corresponds to our definite article the (German der, die, das), which is properly a demonstrative pronoun, which we see in its full force in Homer, and of which we find certain indubitable traces also in all kinds of Greek prose, and hence also in the N. T.] [Additional variants: tē, hoi, oi, tēn, ta, tēs, tois, tais, tō, tōn, tou, hé  hē, hai, tas.]


e. Lord [Strong: 2962. kurios koo'-ree-os from kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, i.e. (as noun) controller; by implication, Master (as a respectful title):-- God, Lord, master, Sir. 


e. should come [Strong: 2064. erchomai er'-khom-ahee; middle voice of a primary verb (used only in the present and imperfect tenses, the others being supplied by a kindred (middle voice) eleuthomai el-yoo'-thom-ahee, or (active) eltho el'-tho, which do not otherwise occur) to come or go (in a great variety of applications, literally and figuratively):--accompany, appear, bring, come, enter, fall out, go, grow, X light, X next, pass, resort, be set.]


f.  to [Strong: 4314. pros pros a strengthened form of 4253; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. toward (with the genitive case, the side of, i.e. pertaining to; with the dative case, by the side of, i.e. near to; usually with the accusative case, the place, time, occasion, or respect, which is the destination of the relation, i.e. whither or for which it is predicated):--about, according to , against, among, at, because of, before, between, (where-)by, for, X at thy house, in, for intent, nigh unto, of, which pertain to, that, to (the end that), X together, to (you) -ward, unto, with(-in). In the comparative case, it denotes essentially the same applications, namely, motion towards, accession to, or nearness at.]


g. me [Strong: 3165. me meh; a shorter (and probably originally) from of 1691; me:--I, me, my.]


1). We must remember that the whole passage Luke 1:42-45, is all uttered under the influence of the Holy Ghost. Here Elisabeth was saying, in question form that Mary was going to bear the Messiah, God manifest in the flesh, in the person of Jesus. Glory to God! It was also a confirmation to Mary. This is an example of the word of knowledge, one of the gifts of the Spirit being manifested. There was no way in the natural for Elisabeth to know Mary was going to bear the Messiah, but the Holy Ghost speaking through Elisabeth revealed it to her.


No comments: