Monday, September 14, 2015

Genesis 12:13

Genesis 12:13

Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee.

a. NLT: So please tell them you are my sister. Then they will spare my life and treat me well because of their interest in you.”

b. NIV: Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you.”

c. YLT: say, I pray thee, thou art my sister, so that it is well with me because of thee, and my soul hath lived for thy sake.'

d. Amplified Bible: Please tell them that you are my sister so that things will go well for me for your sake, and my life will be spared because of you.”

e. Septuagint: Say, therefore, I am his sister, that it may be well with me on account of thee, and my soul shall live because of thee. 

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: Please say that you are my sister, that it may go well with me for your sake, and that I may live on account of you.”

1. “Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister…”

a. Say [559 * 'amar] [Strong: a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

b. I pray you [4994 * na'] [Strong: a primitive particle of incitement and entreaty, which may usually be rendered: "I pray," "now," or "then"; added mostly to verbs (in the Imperative or Future), or to interjections, occasionally to an adverb or conjunction:--I beseech (pray) thee (you), go to, now, oh.]

c. thou art my sister [269 * 'achowth] [Strong: irregular feminine of 251; a sister (used very widely (like 250), literally and figuratively):--(an-)other, sister, together.]

2. “…that it may be well with me for thy sake…”

a. that [4616 * ma`an] [Strong: from 6030; properly, heed, i.e. purpose; used only adverbially, on account of (as a motive or an aim), teleologically, in order that:--because of, to the end (intent) that, for (to,... 's sake), + lest, that, to.]

b. it may be well [3190 * yatab] [Strong: a primitive root; to be (causative) make well, literally (sound, beautiful) or figuratively (happy, successful, right):--be accepted, amend, use aright, benefit, be (make) better, seem best, make cheerful, be comely, + be content, diligent(-ly), dress, earnestly, find favour, give, be glad, do (be, make) good((-ness)), be (make) merry, please (+ well), shew more (kindness), skilfully, X very small, surely, make sweet, thoroughly, tire, trim, very, be (can, deal, entreat, go, have) well (said, seen).]

3. “…and my soul shall live because of thee.”

a. my soul [5315 * nephesh] [Strong: from 5314; properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):--any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, X dead(-ly), desire, X (dis-)contented, X fish, ghost, + greedy, he, heart(-y), (hath, X jeopardy of) life (X in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-)self, them (your)-selves, + slay, soul, + tablet, they, thing, (X she) will, X would have it.]

b. shall live [2421 * chayah] [Strong: a primitive root (Compare 2331, 2421); to live, whether literally or figuratively; causatively, to revive:--keep (leave, make) alive, X certainly, give (promise) life, (let, suffer to) live, nourish up, preserve (alive), quicken, recover, repair, restore (to life), revive, (X God) save (alive, life, lives), X surely, be whole.]

c. [1558 * galal] [Strong: from 1556; a circumstance (as rolled around); only used adverbially, on account of:--because of, for (sake).]

No comments: