Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Genesis 13:9

Genesis 13:9

Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left.

a. NLT: The whole countryside is open to you. Take your choice of any section of the land you want, and we will separate. If you want the land to the left, then I’ll take the land on the right. If you prefer the land on the right, then I’ll go to the left.”

b. NIV: Is not the whole land before you? Let’s part company. If you go to the left, I’ll go to the right; if you go to the right, I’ll go to the left.”

c. YLT: Is not all the land before thee? be parted, I pray thee, from me; if to the left, then I to the right; and if to the right, then I to the left.'

d. Amplified Bible: Is not the entire land before you? Please separate [yourself] from me. If you take the left, then I will go to the right; or if you choose the right, then I will go to the left.” 

e. Septuagint: Lo! is not the whole land before thee? Separate thyself from me; if thou [goest] to the left, I will go to the right, and if thou goest to the right, I will go to the left.

f. Stone Edition Torah/Prophets/Writings: Is not all the land before you? Please separate from me: If you go left then I will go right, and if you go right then I will go left.”

1. “Is not the whole land before thee?...”

a. the land [776 * 'erets] [Strong: from an unused root probably meaning to be firm; the earth (at large, or partitively a land):--X common, country, earth, field, ground, land, X natins, way, + wilderness, world.]

b. before thee [6440 * paniym] [Strong: plural (but always as singular) of an unused noun (paneh {paw-neh'}; from 6437); the face (as the part that turns); used in a great variety of applications (literally and figuratively); also (with prepositional prefix) as a preposition (before, etc.):--+ accept, a-(be- )fore(-time), against, anger, X as (long as), at, + battle, + because (of), + beseech, countenance, edge, + employ, endure, + enquire, face, favour, fear of, for, forefront(-part), form(-er time, -ward), from, front, heaviness, X him(-self), + honourable, + impudent, + in, it, look(-eth) (- s), X me, + meet, X more than, mouth, of, off, (of) old (time), X on, open, + out of, over against, the partial, person, + please, presence, propect, was purposed, by reason of, + regard, right forth, + serve, X shewbread, sight, state, straight, + street, X thee, X them(-selves), through (+ - out), till, time(-s) past, (un-)to(-ward), + upon, upside (+ down), with(- in, + -stand), X ye, X you.]

2. “…separate thyself, I pray thee, from me…”

a. separate [6504 * parad] [Strong: a primitive root; to break through, i.e. spread or separate (oneself):--disperse, divide, be out of joint, part, scatter (abroad), separate (self), sever self, stretch, sunder.]
3. “…if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right…”

a. left hand [8040 * smo'wl or smosl] [Strong: a primitive word (rather perhaps from the same as 8071 (by insertion of the aleph) through the idea of wrapping up); properly, dark (as enveloped), i.e. the north; hence (by orientation), the left hand:--left (hand, side).]

b. right [3231 * yaman] [Strong: a primitive root; to be (physically) right (i.e. firm); but used only as denominative from 3225 and transitive, to be right-handed or take the right-hand side:--go (turn) to (on, use) the right hand.]

4. “…or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left.”

a. to the right hand [3225 * yamiyn] [Strong: from 3231; the right hand or side (leg, eye) of a person or other object (as the stronger and more dexterous); locally, the south:--+ left-handed, right (hand, side), south.]

b. to the left [8041 * sama'l] [Strong: a primitive root (denominative from 8040); to use the left hand or pass in that direction):--(go, turn) (on the, to the) left.]


No comments: