Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Genesis 24:39

Genesis 24:39

And I said unto my master, Peradventure the woman will not follow me.

a. NLT: “But I said to my master, ‘What if I can’t find a young woman who is willing to go back with me?’

b. NIV: “Then I asked my master, ‘What if the woman will not come back with me?’

c. YLT: 'And I say unto my lord, It may be the woman doth not come after me;

d. Amplified Bible Classic: And I said to my master, But suppose the woman will not follow me.

e. Septuagint: And I said to my master, Haply the woman will not go with me.

f. Stone Edition Chumash Torah: And Isaid to my master, “Perhaps the woman will not follow me?”

1. “And I said unto my master, Peradventure the woman will not follow me.”

a. And I said [559 * 'amar] [Strong: a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

b. unto my master [113 * 'adown; or (shortened) adon] [Strong: from an unused root (meaning to rule); sovereign, i.e. controller (human or divine):-- lord, master, owner.]

c. Peradventure the woman [802 * 'ishshah; feminine of 376 or 582; irregular plural, nashiym] [Strong: a woman (used in the same wide sense as 582):--(adulter)ess, each, every, female, X many, + none, one, + together, wife, woman.]

d. will not follow [3212 * yalak] [Strong: a primitive root (Compare 1980); to walk (literally or figuratively); causatively, to carry (in various senses):--X again, away, bear, bring, carry (away), come (away), depart, flow, + follow(-ing), get (away, hence, him), (cause to, made) go (away, -ing, -ne, one's way, out), grow, lead (forth), let down, march, prosper, + pursue, cause to run, spread, take away ((-journey)), vanish, (cause to) walk(-ing), wax, X be weak.]

e. follow [310 * 'achar akh-ar' from 309; properly, the hind part; generally used as an adverb or conjunction, after (in various senses):--after (that, -ward), again, at, away from, back (from, -side), behind, beside, by, follow (after, -ing), forasmuch, from, hereafter, hinder end, + out (over) live, + persecute, posterity, pursuing, remnant, seeing, since, thence(-forth), when, with.]


No comments: