Thursday, April 21, 2016

Genesis 24:43

Genesis 24:43

Behold, I stand by the well of water; and it shall come to pass, that when the virgin cometh forth to draw water, and I say to her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water of thy pitcher to drink;

a. NLT: See, I am standing here beside this spring. This is my request. When a young woman comes to draw water, I will say to her, “Please give me a little drink of water from your jug.”

b. NIV: See, I am standing beside this spring. If a young woman comes out to draw water and I say to her, “Please let me drink a little water from your jar,”

c. YLT: (lo, I am standing by the fountain of water), then the virgin who is coming out to draw, and I have said unto her, Let me drink, I pray thee, a little water from thy pitcher,

d. Amplified Bible Classic: See, I am standing by the well of water; now let it be that when the maiden comes out to draw water and I say to her, I pray you, give me a little water from your [water] jar to drink,

e. Septuagint: behold, I stand by the well of water, and the daughters of the men of the city come forth to draw water, and it shall be that the damsel to whom I shall say, Give me a little water to drink out of thy pitcher,

f. Stone Edition Chumash Torah: Behold, I am standing by the spring of water; let it be that the young woman who comes out to draw and to whom I shall say, “Please give me some water to drink from your jug.”

1. Behold, I stand by the well of water; and it shall come to pass

a. I stand [5324 * natsab] [Strong: a prim root; to station, in various applications (literally or figuratively):--appointed, deputy, erect, establish, X Huzzah (by mistake for a proper name), lay, officer, pillar, present, rear up, set (over, up), settle, sharpen, establish, (make to) stand(-ing, still, up, upright), best state.]

b. by the well [5869 * `ayin] [Strong: probably a primitive word; an eye (literally or figuratively); by analogy, a fountain (as the eye of the landscape):--affliction, outward appearance, + before, + think best, colour, conceit, + be content, countenance, + displease, eye((-brow), (-d), -sight), face, + favour, fountain, furrow (from the margin), X him, + humble, knowledge, look, (+ well), X me, open(-ly), + (not) please, presence, + regard, resemblance, sight, X thee, X them, + think, X us, well, X you(-rselves).]

c. of water [4325 * mayim] [Strong: dual of a primitive noun (but used in a singular sense); water; figuratively, juice; by euphemism, urine, semen:--+ piss, wasting, water(-ing, (-course, -flood, -spring)).]

d. and it shall come tyo pass [No Hebrew]

2. “…that when the virgin cometh forth to draw water…”

a. when the virgin [5959 * `almah] [Strong: feminine of 5958; a lass (as veiled or private):--damsel, maid, virgin.]

b. cometh forth [3318 * yatsa] [Strong: a primitive root; to go (causatively, bring) out, in a great variety of applications, literally and figuratively, direct and proxim.:--X after, appear, X assuredly, bear out, X begotten, break out, bring forth (out, up), carry out, come (abroad, out, thereat, without), + be condemned, depart(-ing, -ure), draw forth, in the end, escape, exact, fail, fall (out), fetch forth (out), get away (forth, hence, out), (able to, cause to, let) go abroad (forth, on, out), going out, grow, have forth (out), issue out, lay (lie) out, lead out, pluck out, proceed, pull out, put away, be risen, X scarce, send with commandment, shoot forth, spread, spring out, stand out, X still, X surely, take forth (out), at any time, X to (and fro), utter.]

c. to draw water [7579 * sha'ab] [Strong: a primitive root; to bale up water:--(woman to) draw(-er, water).]

3. “…and I say to her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water of thy pitcher to drink;”

a. and I say [559 * 'amar] [Strong: a primitive root; to say (used with great latitude):--answer, appoint, avouch, bid, boast self, call, certify, challenge, charge, + (at the, give) command(-ment), commune, consider, declare, demand, X desire, determine, X expressly, X indeed, X intend, name, X plainly, promise, publish, report, require, say, speak (against, of), X still, X suppose, talk, tell, term, X that is, X think, use (speech), utter, X verily, X yet.]

b. Give me…to drink [8248 * shaqah] [Strong: a primitive root; to quaff, i.e. (causatively) to irrigate or furnish a potion to:--cause to (give, give to, let, make to) drink, drown, moisten, water.]

c. a little [4592 * m`at; or miat] [Strong: from 4591; a little or few (often adverbial or compar.):--almost (some, very) few(-er, -est), lightly, little (while), (very) small (matter, thing), some, soon, X very.]

d. water [4325 * mayim] [Strong: dual of a primitive noun (but used in a singular sense); water; figuratively, juice; by euphemism, urine, semen:--+ piss, wasting, water(-ing, (-course, -flood, -spring)).]

e. of thy pitcher [3537 * kad] [Strong: from an unused root meaning to deepen; properly, a pail; but generally of earthenware; a jar for domestic purposes:--barrel, pitcher.]


No comments: