Friday, April 22, 2016

Genesis 24:49

Genesis 24:49  

And now if ye will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me: and if not, tell me; that I may turn to the right hand, or to the left.

a. NLT: So tell me—will you or won’t you show unfailing love and faithfulness to my master? Please tell me yes or no, and then I’ll know what to do next.”

b. NIV: Now if you will show kindness and faithfulness to my master, tell me; and if not, tell me, so I may know which way to turn.”

c. YLT: 'And now, if ye are dealing kindly and truly with my lord, declare to me; and if not, declare to me; and I turn unto the right or unto the left.'

d. Amplified Bible Classic: And now if you will deal kindly and truly with my master [showing faithfulness to him], tell me; and if not, tell me, that I may turn to the right or to the left.

e. Septuagint: If then ye [will] deal mercifully and justly with my lord, [tell me], and if not, tell me, that I may turn to the right hand or to the left. 

f. Stone Edition Chumash Torah: And now, if you intend to do kindness and truth with my master, tell me: and if not, tell me, and I will turn to the right of the left.”

1. “And now if ye will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me: and if not, tell me…”

a. And now if ye will [3426 * yesh] [Strong: perhaps from an unused root meaning to stand out, or exist; entity; used adverbially or as a copula for the substantive verb (1961); there is or are (or any other form of the verb to be, as may suit the connection):--(there) are, (he, it, shall, there, there may, there shall, there should) be, thou do, had, hast, (which) hath, (I, shalt, that) have, (he, it, there) is, substance, it (there) was, (there) were, ye will, thou wilt, wouldest.]

b. deal [6213 * `asah] [Strong: a primitive root; to do or make, in the broadest sense and widest application (as follows):--accomplish, advance, appoint, apt, be at, become, bear, bestow, bring forth, bruise, be busy, X certainly, have the charge of, commit, deal (with), deck, + displease, do, (ready) dress(-ed), (put in) execute(-ion), exercise, fashion, + feast, (fight-)ing man, + finish, fit, fly, follow, fulfill, furnish, gather, get, go about, govern, grant, great, + hinder, hold ((a feast)), X indeed, + be industrious, + journey, keep, labour, maintain, make, be meet, observe, be occupied, offer, + officer, pare, bring (come) to pass, perform, pracise, prepare, procure, provide, put, requite, X sacrifice, serve, set, shew, X sin, spend, X surely, take, X thoroughly, trim, X very, + vex, be (warr-)ior, work(-man), yield, use.]

c. kindly [2617 *  checed] [Strong: from 2616; kindness; by implication (towards God) piety: rarely (by opposition) reproof, or (subject.) beauty:--favour, good deed(-liness, -ness), kindly, (loving-)kindness, merciful (kindness), mercy, pity, reproach, wicked thing.

d. and truly [571 * 'emeth] [Strong: contracted from 539; stability; (figuratively) certainty, truth, trustworthiness:--assured(-ly), establishment, faithful, right, sure, true (-ly, -th), verity.]

e. with my master [113 * 'adown; or (shortened) adon] [Strong: from an unused root (meaning to rule); sovereign, i.e. controller (human or divine):-- lord, master, owner.]

f. tell me [5046 * nagad] [Strong: a primitive root; properly, to front, i.e. stand boldly out opposite; by implication (causatively), to manifest; figuratively, to announce (always by word of mouth to one present); specifically, to expose, predict, explain, praise:--bewray, X certainly, certify, declare(-ing), denounce, expound, X fully, messenger, plainly, profess, rehearse, report, shew (forth), speak, X surely, tell, utter.]

g. and if not tell me [5046 * nagad] [Strong: a primitive root; properly, to front, i.e. stand boldly out opposite; by implication (causatively), to manifest; figuratively, to announce (always by word of mouth to one present); specifically, to expose, predict, explain, praise:--bewray, X certainly, certify, declare(-ing), denounce, expound, X fully, messenger, plainly, profess, rehearse, report, shew (forth), speak, X surely, tell, utter.]

2. “…that I may turn to the right hand, or to the left.”

a. that I may turn [6437 * panah paw-naw' a primitive root; to turn; by implication, to face, i.e. appear, look, etc.:--appear, at (even-)tide, behold, cast out, come on, X corner, dawning, empty, go away, lie, look, mark, pass away, prepare, regard, (have) respect (to), (re-)turn (aside, away, back, face, self), X right (early).]

b. to the right hand [3225 *  yamiyn] [Strong: from 3231; the right hand or side (leg, eye) of a person or other object (as the stronger and more dexterous); locally, the south:--+ left-handed, right (hand, side), south.]

c. or [176 * 'ow] [Strong: presumed to be the "constructive" or genitival form of -av {av}; short for 185; desire (and so probably in Prov. 31:4); hence (by way of alternative) or, also if:--also, and, either, if, at the least, X nor, or, otherwise, then, whether.]

d. to the left [8040 * smo'wl; or smosl] [Strong: a primitive word (rather perhaps from the same as 8071 (by insertion of the aleph) through the idea of wrapping up); properly, dark (as enveloped), i.e. the north; hence (by orientation), the left hand:--left (hand, side).]


No comments: