Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Genesis 24:41

Genesis 24:41

Then shalt thou be clear from this my oath, when thou comest to my kindred; and if they give not thee one, thou shalt be clear from my oath.

a. NLT: Then you will have fulfilled your obligation. But if you go to my relatives and they refuse to let her go with you, you will be free from my oath.’

b. NIV: You will be released from my oath if, when you go to my clan, they refuse to give her to you—then you will be released from my oath.’

c. YLT: then art thou acquitted from my oath, when thou comest unto my family, and if they give not one to thee; then thou hast been acquitted from my oath.

d. Amplified Bible Classic: Then you shall be clear from my oath, when you come to my kindred; and if they do not give her to you, you shall be free and innocent of my oath.

e. Septuagint: Then shalt thou be clear from my curse, for whensoever thou shalt have come to my tribe, and they shall not give her to thee, then shalt thou be clear from my oath.

f. Stone Edition Chumash Torah: Then you will be absolved from my oath when you have come to my family; and if thy will not give her to you, then, you shall be absolved from my oath.”

1. “Then shalt thou be clear from this my oath, when thou comest to my kindred…”

a. then thou shalt be clear [5352 * naqah] [Strong: a primitive root; to be (or make) clean (literally or figuratively); by implication (in an adverse sense) to be bare, i.e. extirpated:--acquit X at all, X altogether, be blameless, cleanse, (be) clear(-ing), cut off, be desolate, be free, be (hold) guiltless, be (hold) innocent, X by no means, be quit, be (leave) unpunished, X utterly, X wholly.]

b. “from this my oath [423 * ‘alah] [Strong: from 422; an imprecation:--curse, cursing, execration, oath, swearing.]

c. when thou comest [935 * bow’] [Strong: a primitive root; to go or come (in a wide variety of applications):--abide, apply, attain, X be, befall, + besiege, bring (forth, in, into, to pass), call, carry, X certainly, (cause, let, thing for) to come (against, in, out, upon, to pass), depart, X doubtless again, + eat, + employ, (cause to) enter (in, into, -tering, -trance, -try), be fallen, fetch, + follow, get, give, go (down, in, to war), grant, + have, X indeed, (in-)vade, lead, lift (up), mention, pull in, put, resort, run (down), send, set, X (well) stricken (in age), X surely, take (in), way.]

d. to my kindred [4940 * mishpachah] [Strong: from 8192 (Compare 8198); a family, i.e. circle of relatives; figuratively, a class (of persons), a species (of animals) or sort (of things); by extens. a tribe or people:--family, kind(-red).]

2. “…and if they give not thee one, thou shalt be clear from my oath.”
a. if they give not [5414 * Nathan] [Strong: a primitive root; to give, used with greatest latitude of application (put, make, etc.):--add, apply, appoint, ascribe, assign, X avenge, X be ((healed)), bestow, bring (forth, hither), cast, cause, charge, come, commit, consider, count, + cry, deliver (up), direct, distribute, do, X doubtless, X without fail, fasten, frame, X get, give (forth, over, up), grant, hang (up), X have, X indeed, lay (unto charge, up), (give) leave, lend, let (out), + lie, lift up, make, + O that, occupy, offer, ordain, pay, perform, place, pour, print, X pull , put (forth), recompense, render, requite, restore, send (out), set (forth), shew, shoot forth (up), + sing, + slander, strike, (sub-)mit, suffer, X surely, X take, thrust, trade, turn, utter, + weep, + willingly, + withdraw, + would (to) God, yield.]

b. thou shalt be clear [5355 * naqiy or naqiyi] [Strong: from 5352; innocent:--blameless, clean, clear, exempted, free, guiltless, innocent, quit.]

c. from my oath [423 * ‘alah] [Strong: from 422; an imprecation:--curse, cursing, execration, oath, swearing.]


No comments: