Friday, April 08, 2016

Genesis 24:4

Genesis 24:4

But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.

a. NLT: Go instead to my homeland, to my relatives, and find a wife there for my son Isaac.”

b. NIV: but will go to my country and my own relatives and get a wife for my son Isaac.”

c. YLT: but unto my land and unto my kindred dost thou go, and hast taken a wife for my son, for Isaac.'

d. Amplified Bible Classic: But you shall go to my country and to my relatives and take [a]a wife for my son Isaac.

e. Septuagint: But thou shalt go instead to my country, where I was born, and to my tribe, and thou shalt take from thence a wife for my son Isaac.

f. Stone Edition Chumash Torah: Rather, to my land and to my kindred shall you go and take a wife for my son, for Isaac.”

1. “But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred…”

a. thou shalt go [3212 * halak] [Strong: akin to 3212; a primitive root; to walk (in a great variety of applications, literally and figuratively):--(all) along, apace, behave (self), come, (on) continually, be conversant, depart, + be eased, enter, exercise (self), + follow, forth, forward, get, go (about, abroad, along, away, forward, on, out, up and down), + greater, grow, be wont to haunt, lead, march, X more and more, move (self), needs, on, pass (away), be at the point, quite, run (along), + send, speedily, spread, still, surely, + tale-bearer, + travel(-ler), walk (abroad, on, to and fro, up and down, to places), wander, wax, (way-)faring man, X be weak, whirl.]

b. unto my country [776 * 'erets] [Strong: from an unused root probably meaning to be firm; the earth (at large, or partitively a land):--X common, country, earth, field, ground, land, X natins, way, + wilderness, world.]

1). Before Abraham’s father died, Abraham’s family moved from Ur north to Haraan which is about 550 miles (Genesis 11:31). Haraan is about 275 miles from Damascus. It is not clear where Abraham was living at the time when he sent his servant to fetch Isaac a wife. When Sarah died he was living in Beersheba, while she lived in Mamre/Hebron.  It could be that Abraham moved back to Mamre/Hebron when Sarah died. When the servant came back with Rebekah, Isaac and his new wife immediately moved into his mother Sarah’s tent which was probably in Hebron. Notice it was not Abraham’s tent but Sarah’s tent.

c. to my kindred [4138 * mowledeth] [Strong: from 3205; nativity (plural birth-place); by implication, lineage, native country; also offspring, family:--begotten, born, issue, kindred, native(-ity).]

2. “…and take a wife unto my son Isaac.”

a. and take [3947 * laqach] [Strong: a primitive root; to take (in the widest variety of applications):--accept, bring, buy, carry away, drawn, fetch, get, infold, X many, mingle, place, receive(-ing), reserve, seize, send for, take (away, -ing, up), use, win.]

b. a wife [802 * 'ishshah; feminine of 376 or 582; irregular plural, nashiym] [Strong: a woman (used in the same wide sense as 582):--(adulter)ess, each, every, female, X many, + none, one, + together, wife, woman. Often unexpressed in English.]

c. unto my son [1121 * ben] [Strong:  from 1129; a son (as a builder of the family name), in the widest sense (of literal and figurative relationship, including grandson, subject, nation, quality or condition, etc., (like 1, 251, etc.)):--+ afflicted, age, (Ahoh-) (Ammon-) (Hachmon-) (Lev-)ite, (anoint-)ed one, appointed to, (+) arrow, (Assyr-) (Babylon-) (Egypt-) (Grec-)ian, one born, bough, branch, breed, + (young) bullock, + (young) calf, X came up in, child, colt, X common, X corn, daughter, X of first, + firstborn, foal, + very fruitful, + postage, X in, + kid, + lamb, (+) man, meet, + mighty, + nephew, old, (+) people, + rebel, + robber, X servant born, X soldier, son, + spark, + steward, + stranger, X surely, them of, + tumultuous one, + valiant(-est), whelp, worthy, young (one), youth.]

d. Isaac [3327 * Yitschaq] [Strong: from 6711; laughter (i.e. mochery); Jitschak (or Isaac), son of Abraham:--Isaac.]


No comments: